Four stroke for 1989 25' sailfish

bahamabound

Reaction score
Greetings, we have '89 sailfish with 200hp ocen pros. Do about 40kts. Want to upgrade to 4 strokes, any advice to h.p. or brand? Like yammy's but $ anyone have suzuki, honda, to compare.

glado1998

Reaction score
bahamabound said:
Greetings, we have '89 sailfish with 200hp ocen pros. Do about 40kts. Want to upgrade to 4 strokes, any advice to h.p. or brand? Like yammy's but $ anyone have suzuki, honda, to compare.

I just bought an '89 sailfish also, I was considering repower... the owner's manual says this boat is only rated for 400 hp, can I go higher with 4 strokes (yamaha) or can I even put 4 strokes on this boat
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I believe once the boat is rated it can not be re rated and you risk insurance issues if you repower. Some boat could not handle the added weight of the 4 strokes. I had the issue with an 85 Seafarer. The dealer suggested the 200 HPDI. In my opion one of t for you he best engines Yamaha has made. Runs quit, smooth, efficient on gas and very dependable. I have twin 4 strokes now - I prefer them but only by a slim margin. Twin HPDIs may be a good option

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm sure gw204 will chime in...

You really don't need more than 400 HP on that hull but yes you can go over 400 but there things need to be taken care of first (structural and insrance).

Some have used Zuke's and report no problem. I wouldn't use Hondas or 6 cyl Verados they're just toooo heavy. The 4 cyl Verado doesn't weigh that much but check the octane req.

If you want power and prefer Yami, get the HPDI's, the F225 and 200 HPDI have roughly the same max power but the F weighs a decent amount more. It's hard to go wrong with any manufacturer's new engines, it's who you like and trust.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Most guys on this forum go with the 200 yamaha hpdi's and are very happy with the power. They run great, smoke very little only at cold start up and make the boat jump out of the water.

gw204

Reaction score
Had 225s on my '93 Sailfish. The boat took the weight just fine and I was not in violation of an local or federal laws.

I did check w/ my insurance co. before purchasing though. Only after I received confirmation that they would insure the boat, did I move forward with the purchase.

Be warned though...and overpower will impact resale.

As for what engines to put on, that's entirely up to you. HPDIs are the least efficient of all the DFI engines. With 4-strokes you are limited to Suzuki, Merc and Honda in the 200 HP range. Yamaha F200s cannot be installed on the factory bracket without then rubbing at full turn I believe. Any sub-200 HP 4-stroke will fit on the OEM bracket.

If I were sinking $$$ into new engines for my boat, they would be 200 Optis.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Since you are interested in 4 strokes, the Suzie 175s are of similar weight to the ocean pros, but you will loose some performance if it matters.

All 200/225/250 HP 4 stroke V6s are over 100 lbs heavier per, you will need to evaluate the effects of adding 200 + lbs on the stern.

Only Yamaha with their 4 stroke V6s didn't care to make the design to mount on standard 26 inch centerlines as all other twin motors new and old did, 2 and 4 stroke. Notwithstanding the F350 behemoth.

DFIs and 4 strokes have similar fuel economy, both much improved over your carb'd ocean pros. Expect about 30 percent improvement as a minimum.

richmake

Reaction score
i gotta 92 sailfish with twin 200 suzuki's...one word....Awesome...best thing I ever did was not go with any 2 stkoke and invested in 4 strokes.
Numerous reasons but for us it was a no brainer in the end.

Sinclair

Reaction score
I too repowered a 91 Sailfish w/ 4 strokes - 175 Suzuki's. I certainly didnt loose any power.

Quite, no smoke, less fuel and a six year warranty.

Good luck with your repower, if there is anything I can help you with, feel free to let me know.

Sinclair :D

busterblue

Reaction score
I've got '06 4stroke zuke 175's

on my (new to me) '89 252g (bracket). Top end -just me a full load of fuel and too much gear is 34kts at 6000rpms. cruises around 26kts @ 5000rpms. gets out of the water FAST, great hole shot. Love the engines, clean and quiet. honestly haven't done the math but seems to avg comfortably over 1mpg, I'd guess 1.5mpg. It should be better next year - i'm stripping the bottom of 20 years of paint over the winter.

Good luck with your repower.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: I've got '06 4stroke zuke 175's

busterblue said:
on my (new to me) '89 252g (bracket). Top end -just me a full load of fuel and too much gear is 34kts at 6000rpms. cruises around 26kts @ 5000rpms. gets out of the water FAST, great hole shot. Love the engines, clean and quiet. honestly haven't done the math but seems to avg comfortably over 1mpg, I'd guess 1.5mpg. It should be better next year - i'm stripping the bottom of 20 years of paint over the winter.

Good luck with your repower.

Which engines do you have? Are you running 15 pitch props?

busterblue

Reaction score
Engines were installed when I purchased

They were installed in 2006.. had less than 200 hrs on them(according to the tach). All I can tell you from here is that they are 4s 175 suzuki's with SS props. If I get to working on the boat this weekend I'll look to see if the props are labelled and get you the #'s off the engines.

BTW my top end increased when I learned to trim using the engines not the tabs.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I would love to see someone try and mount the new 350 yamaha and see how that would do. If it worked that would be a great and only have to take care of one unit. But not me I would be to chicken to attempt to try it to only see an epic fail.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
HP wise the 350 may cut it since there is less drag but after having twins I'd never want to have a single on a Sailfish.

You should do better than 1.5 MPG with the twin 175's. If you're only getting 29 MPH at 5000 rpm, something doesn't sound right. A 5000 RPM cruise is not healthy for the engine.