FP 4200 Starting Problem

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
After having the 2007 generator run all night offshore for air conditioning, the next day would not start. Troubleshot relays fuel pump etc. and the final fix was an adjustment of the valves. As it turns out the intake valve was not closing completely, thereby reducing compression and allowing the high compression diesel engine to not start. Adjusted both valves to specifications running great starting easy. Not sure why the valve lash went away maybe after running all night the carbon on the valve seat had been reduced.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thats very odd. If something more comes of this, be sure to update this. I would be very interested. Never heard of valve lash changing quickly like that unless jamb nuts were loose.

seasick

Reaction score
Odd that the clearance would get smaller but great that you isolated and fixed it. I have to add that one to my list of "who wudda thunk" notes.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thats very odd. If something more comes of this, be sure to update this. I would be very interested. Never heard of valve lash changing quickly like that unless jamb nuts were loose.
The jam nuts, particularly the one on the valve in question seem to be tight when I readjusted. I agree, cam lobe wear would do the opposite. I did change to full synthetic 15 W 40. Can’t imagine how that would cause this.