FP Generator (Diesel) - starting

georgemjr

Reaction score
I am curious how easily your diesel generator starts up. I find that I have to turn it over for 15 seonds then wait a little while, then again, sometimes as many as four times before it fires up. I don't like to lay on the starter for longer than that at one time. Do you guys just keep turning it over til it fires or do yours fire up much more quickly?

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I may be way off base, but it sounds like you have a relay problem.

georgemjr

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I don't think it a switch or relay problem, unless I am missing something. I am thinking possible a clogged filter, which I will change this weekend. It turns over perfectly when I push the start switch, runs perfectly, and provides the correct electricity. It just takes some time to fire up when turning it over. Since I do not like to hold the starter switch for that long any one time, I hit it for 10-15 seconds then wait a bit, then hit it again. I was wondering if others fired up almost immedietely or if it took them some time too. Thanks...

gulfcart

Reaction score
Mine starts right up, but I have had some problems.
I would check the fuel pump and check valve,(built into pump). Pull the oil sending unit wire off the sending unit, push the on button only(not start) you should hear the pump and check valve. At the very least let the pump run for a minute. Shut the genrator button down to off. Re hook the wire and try to start it. If it starts right up you know you have a problem with the check valve..

rorkin

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
georgemjr said:
Thanks for the replies. I don't think it a switch or relay problem, unless I am missing something. I am thinking possible a clogged filter, which I will change this weekend. It turns over perfectly when I push the start switch, runs perfectly, and provides the correct electricity. It just takes some time to fire up when turning it over. Since I do not like to hold the starter switch for that long any one time, I hit it for 10-15 seconds then wait a bit, then hit it again. I was wondering if others fired up almost immedietely or if it took them some time too. Thanks...

While I don't have one, a Diesel engine is pretty simple.. It only needs compression and fuel..

Since it runs.. It is a fuel supply problem.. would be looking at something that lets the fuel supply drain down between uses or that causes fuel pump to not deliver right away..
Don't know if mechanical or electronic injectors but they need to function as well.
off the cuff guess.. Fuel pump..though I guess a clogged filter could impede flow but it does run.
I really like the check valve theory since that would let fuel drain down and not let fuel get to the engine untill fuel pump primes