Free Fall Windless Motor Wanted for Marlin 300

Lil Lucky

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Hope everyone had a good season so far. I surely can't complain! I'm looking to make an addition over the winter for my boat (as is the case every year!). I want to change the stock windless setup I currently have and switch it to a free fall anchor system. The old windless system works but it takes forever to send the line out. I have a 2002 GW Marlin 300. Any advice or anyone actually done this to their boat? I heard from some friends that I just need to get the anchor motor as they retrofit on. I'm sure there is some mod work though. I want to go as big as possible. Some people recommending a Lewmar 1000.

Thanks,

Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm not sure about the retro-fit part. But as far as a new unit goes, check out Good Windlasses. EXCELLENT company/product with great customer support. Made in NJ (but don't hold that against them!). They're not necessarily as "pretty" as some other manufacturer's, but they are VERY durable and basically "over built".

fischer

Reaction score
X2 on the Good Windlass. Put one on my Marlin and love it. As mentioned, it's not as pretty as some but you won't be seeing it much anyway, since you won't be going up front to tie off. One of it's best features is being able to anchor without having to tie off to a cleat. It's designed to hold the rode all by itself.