Freedom 225 Capacity Plate

TommyGirl225

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
I am looking to buy a used 2012-2013 Freedom 225. Capacity plate says 8 passengers yet in 2014 it says 10 passengers. Only change I can see is a wider aft seat which I don’t mind buying from Grady if needed. How can I get new sticker?

seasick

Reaction score
I couldn't resist; Buy a 2014:)
Seriously, changing the plate doesn't change the capacity. The number of passengers depends on the load capacity, not seats. The rule of thumb way back was that you device the carrying capacity of the boat by 150 ( average weight of an adult) to get the maximum passengers. I believe that the average weight has been upped these days to 184 pounds. Of course, the problem is that you need to know the carrying capacity of the vessel and you have to reduce that for added load other than passengers including standard features. Both the 13 and 14 have the same dimensions and naked hull weight so something else changed. Do both versions have similar standard power?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I've also wondered the validity of the plate. Our 248 at 25' long only has a capacity of 8 according to the plate. The boat has a single, no hard top, and no auxiliary tank, yet one with all those features still has a capacity of 8 despite being 1000+ lbs heavier. Apparently "payload" on boats is not determined like it is on trucks!;)

seasick

Reaction score
I do not know how the payload as you call it, is calculated but I suspect that the calculation is complicated. I will see if I can find anything about the subject.

Last edited:

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Based on the examples, and extrapolating via SWAG, the 248 should have a capacity of 16-20 people! However, it appears the manufacturer has the option to do whatever they want as long as the total passenger load comes up less than what the calculation method provides. My guess is the plate on the 248 was based on the possibility that someone could have a boat equipped like ours from the factory and load it up later. GW went with only 8 as a CYA measure rather than rate a boat differently based on options.

seasick

Reaction score
The simple calculation is just an estimate. For example, two hulls of the same length and beam and weight but one with a full height transom and the other with a lower transom can have different capacities. The more detailed calculation takes into account the amount of 'load' and when water starts to flood places that it normally shouldn't. Since the hull with a lower transom would flood sooner, it load capacity will be less.

seasick

Reaction score
I have been reading and digesting the document and found something interesting. Put in simple terms, the capacity is calculated by determining the amount of weigh that can be added to a hull with an engine and a full gas tank before it takes on water ( things like deck drains, scuppers, live well inputs and drains etc are sealed for the test)
Manufacturers now take that weight and adjust as they see fit to come up with capacity and max passengers. In general the specified capacities are less than the theoretical to give a safety factor. So, the amount of 'safety factor is up to the manufactures so two different models wit the same dimensions and molds could have different listed capacities as it seems is the case in the original post.
There is another factor though that I didn't think of. If the manufacturer states that the boat is unsinkable ( and for small hulls, it has to be), they need to calculate how much foam to add to account for the weight of the water that is flooding the hull. If there isn't enough room for the required foam, the manufacturer may opt to reduce the capacity. Secondly, in order to safe costs, the manufacturer may also reduce the capacity so that they can state that the boat is unsinkable.

TommyGirl225

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
Thanks everyone for the replies. I did call Grady and they won’t be changing the 2012 capacity plate but have not been able to give a reason other than they can’t do this on older models. No changes to the Max power rating or hull mold that I can see. I think they changed their safety factor so they could match the competition offering 10 passengers for this size of boat. Waiting now for a 2014 with 250 or 300 hp to become available (plus some other requirements).

Fishtales

Reaction score
It comes down to fitting people in the cockpit and helm for me. Maybe some seating in the bow if a dual console and also your use case. For riding around, sure you can put 10 people on it if you don't mind the crowd. For cruising, longer run destinations, fishing and water sports, likely too many. They'd say you can put 10 on a 15' boat if they could, its a marketing play. 4 is likely the max for comfort.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sean, if you are really thinking of having 10 people on a 22' boat, I would think 4 of them would have to be children to stay under the max load rating. Another issue is will you have enough power to move that much load? I'd personally be nervous running a bow rider with that much weight anywhere but canals for fear of stuffing the bow. Lastly, if you can handle 6 adults and 4 kids on a 22' boat, you missed your calling as a circus ringmaster! ... assuming that isn't your occupation.:)

TommyGirl225

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
Circus ringmaster is definitely our profession after adopting three children now 5, 6, and 8. Of course when we say 10 we are talking mostly kids and we only do protected bay boating with mostly water sports so hopefully that puts it in perspective.

Reactions: family affair