Freedom 235/255

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Any Grady-White Freedom 235 owners on here? I sea trialed the boat a couple weeks ago and really liked it.
Looking for some owner feedback on how it handles nearshore and offsore and in what kind of seas. We are in Sandy Hook, NJ, and would use the boat everywhere along the coast from NYC/Hudson River, along all of Long Island and along the NJ coast down to Cape May. Also considering the 255. Thanks in advance.

JM321

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I took delivery of a 2020 Freedom 235 this spring. I keep the boat on Table Rock Lake in southern Missouri. It’s a large lake (42,000 surface acres) with lots of boat traffic at times, so I can’t attest to running the boat in the ocean. The boat handles fantastic on the lake with 1-2 foot waves and boat traffic. The 235 would handle the seas perfect where you boat in my opinion. We love everything about the 235, no regrets on anything. The fit and finish are terrific along with the customer service at the factory/dealership.

Reactions: StevieFrompa

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I took delivery of a 2020 Freedom 235 this spring. I keep the boat on Table Rock Lake in southern Missouri. It’s a large lake (42,000 surface acres) with lots of boat traffic at times, so I can’t attest to running the boat in the ocean. The boat handles fantastic on the lake with 1-2 foot waves and boat traffic. The 235 would handle the seas perfect where you boat in my opinion. We love everything about the 235, no regrets on anything. The fit and finish are terrific along with the customer service at the factory/dealership.
Thanks for this, I was impressed with the boat it ran like a 25-footer think it could be a good fit for us

JM321

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Two other considerations, I thought was important to me was the integrated swim platforms on the 235 (overall length with the platforms 25’7”) the 255 doesn’t have them. It’s been nice to have them for storage and the extra room for boarding and access to the swim ladder. The other was the single F300 on the 235. The 255 can be ordered with a single, but I’m pretty confident not having twins would hurt the resale on a 25-26’ boat. I personally didn’t need a boat with twins for where I boat currently and didn’t want the extra maintenance.

tellch00

Reaction score
Bought a 235 new in 2018 and very happy with the boat. i ordered mine with hardtop which I love, windless, and a bunch of other options. I'm on the North Fork of L.I. Can you go offshore? sure, but its still an open bow 23 ft boat. better pick your days. Even Gardiners Bay can get very unpleasant, wouldn't want to be off shore on a bad day.

I was told by a Grady dealer the 25 is one of their poorest selling boats and that most people looking at that usually go up to the 27. possible reason being the 25 is same beam as the 23 so not really getting much more than the 23. makes sense as I thought the same thing when looking to move up from my 205. looked at 222 and with same beam didn't really feel different. the 235 felt much bigger than the 222.

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Two other considerations, I thought was important to me was the integrated swim platforms on the 235 (overall length with the platforms 25’7”) the 255 doesn’t have them. It’s been nice to have them for storage and the extra room for boarding and access to the swim ladder. The other was the single F300 on the 235. The 255 can be ordered with a single, but I’m pretty confident not having twins would hurt the resale on a 25-26’ boat. I personally didn’t need a boat with twins for where I boat currently and didn’t want the extra maintenance.
Thanks for this, yes those platforms are big and make quite a difference

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Bought a 235 new in 2018 and very happy with the boat. i ordered mine with hardtop which I love, windless, and a bunch of other options. I'm on the North Fork of L.I. Can you go offshore? sure, but its still an open bow 23 ft boat. better pick your days. Even Gardiners Bay can get very unpleasant, wouldn't want to be off shore on a bad day.

I was told by a Grady dealer the 25 is one of their poorest selling boats and that most people looking at that usually go up to the 27. possible reason being the 25 is same beam as the 23 so not really getting much more than the 23. makes sense as I thought the same thing when looking to move up from my 205. looked at 222 and with same beam didn't really feel different. the 235 felt much bigger than the 222.
Thanks for this, agreed on all points, yes my local dealer thinks they will discontinue the 255 as most either go 235 or 275

Pmartin949

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I have 2017 Freedom 235 w/ 300hp dual console w/ the hardtop. We are on SC coast. It’s a great boat, handles very well in most types of seas (we don’t really go out in true rough seas) and rides comfortably. Recently took it on 100-mile trip on ICW (Hilton Head to Charleston). Great trip.
Its a lot of boat for the size.

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I have 2017 Freedom 235 w/ 300hp dual console w/ the hardtop. We are on SC coast. It’s a great boat, handles very well in most types of seas (we don’t really go out in true rough seas) and rides comfortably. Recently took it on 100-mile trip on ICW (Hilton Head to Charleston). Great trip.
Its a lot of boat for the size.
Thanks for this, that was my overall impression too, a lot of boat for the size. Enjoy yours!