Freedom 235 towing capacity

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Wondering what kind of towing capacity I'd need for a Freedom 235 would only be 5-10 short local trips a year, flat terrain. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
So GW says around 4000 pounds without engine, I think the engine is around 600 and the gas is maybe 700, so 5300ish pounds plus a 7K trailer is going to put you around 6500ish pounds.

If it is flat, not very far, and you get a good trailer with stainless disk brakes, I think a Tacoma or any 1/2 ton pickup would be fine. It's always the stopping that gets you.

Reactions: HTHM

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
This times 4!

I've got a 12,000 pound excavator so w/ trailer it's 16K pushing a 10K truck. Believe me, I've had pucker up moments.
My 228, with that brand new trailer with great break, is nothing. I step on the brakes and it is like the trailer/boat disappear, the brakes work that well.

I did hesitate a little on the Tacoma, OP, you don't want that Tacoma if there are any hills involved or anything sketchy at all. I looked into a Tacoma for my boat and it was way too light for my conditions.

One thing you should think about is how steep and/or slippery are your launch ramps? I launched out of Monterey a week or so ago and getting up the ramp, without the boat on, just the trailer, tow vehicle was a 9800 pound chevy flatbed dually (not 4wd). The grooves in the ramp were angled and it slid the truck right over against the wall (it's a flatbed, not a I-gotta-compensate-for-my-little-you-know-what truck, so I don't really care if it gets another dent).

If you have steep ramps and go with something as light as a tacoma, I'd be sure and get 4WD and even then, I'd borrow/rent/whatever one first and see if it will work. Take a buddy truck in case it doesn't.

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
So GW says around 4000 pounds without engine, I think the engine is around 600 and the gas is maybe 700, so 5300ish pounds plus a 7K trailer is going to put you around 6500ish pounds.

If it is flat, not very far, and you get a good trailer with stainless disk brakes, I think a Tacoma or any 1/2 ton pickup would be fine. It's always the stopping that gets you.
Thanks that's about what I was thinking unfortunately my Grand Cherokee only tows 6200, looks like I'll need a different vehicle

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Thanks that's about what I was thinking unfortunately my Grand Cherokee only tows 6200, looks like I'll need a different vehicle

I've got a fair bit of towing experience, I'm sure not as much as lots of people here, but probably with heavier loads. You really don't want to be near the limit of what your vehicle can do. I believe that a Tacoma, with the tow package, is rated for 6800 pounds. So _maybe_ you could talk yourself into it and here is why you shouldn't. My 8 foot bed, 1.5 cab 1/2 ton silverado is a bigger truck in every way than a Tacoma. I don't know what a Tacoma weighs but it's going to be less than the 5600 pounds that 1/2 ton weighs. You want the tow vehicle to weigh more if possible. I've towed 16,000 behind a 9,800 truck, it wasn't pleasant.

Go big. At least 1/2 ton and I'd like it better if it was 3/4 ton, 4wd and a duramax or one of the other diesels.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You are going to be above 7K and I’m guessing that boat goes on an 8600 capacity trailer.

A max tow 1/2 ton will do it. Something like an F150 with a 3.5 EB.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
You are going to be above 7K and I’m guessing that boat goes on an 8600 capacity trailer.

A max tow 1/2 ton will do it. Something like an F150 with a 3.5 EB.

So where did I go wrong in my numbers above? I only ask because I recently went through all of this with a 228 and a 250HP. The 300HP is the same block so not significant weight differences if that's what he put on. I think it goes over the scales at about 6500 pounds, maybe a bit more with gear but also a bit less because unless you are going way offshore you don't need a full gas tank.

I know you Parthery, have way more experience so I'm asking. There is a reason to ask, the next size up trailer is likely longer, I know the one for the Fisherman 236 was enough longer I couldn't get it down my road. So there could be a decent reason to use the smallest trailer that is safe. I think a 7K trailer is close but I really don't see how that boat & trailer is over 7K.

Jason952

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I have a 235 and it’s such a wonderful boat. I initially had a 5400 pound trailer with the boat and it was very undersized. This boat is rated at 5800 rigged and dry per Grady. With fuel and gear, plan on 6500 and add 15% margin for safety per Grady. My original trailer was warping after one season and we upgraded to a 9k trailer. I tow with my gmc 1500 6.2 with no issue. I did add sumo springs to limit sag. I didn’t want to deal with a 2500 truck and the poor ride quality.

trailers don’t come with these boats so shop manufacturers and buy a good one.

Reactions: StevieFrompa

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A 7K trailer will have a net capacity of 5900-6000. It’s built with (2) 3500 lb axles. The trailer itself will weigh around 1000 lbs...maybe a bit less if they use 5.5” I-Beams. The 8600 lb capacity will have 5200 lb axles with 6 lug wheels. The trailer will weigh 15-1600 lbs.

You will need to make sure the trailer is long enough to get the tongue weight right. A trailer that is too short will be tough to get properly balanced.

If the dry hull is 4000, motor is 600, fuel is 650 and rigging/batteries/water etc is probably another 4-500 you are at 56-5700. Are you getting a hardtop or bimini? Hardtop is 400 or so. By the time you add ice and gear you are getting close......

Is length or width an issue on your road? If it’s width look at a custom trailer from someone like Owens and Sons. They put the bunks on the I beams which makes for a narrower trailer. They also build a great trailer for about the same price. Good guys to deal with. They have done 4 for me over the years and would have done the most recent one except they shut down for covid and I couldn’t wait.

Jason952

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Since I was upset with my initial bunk trailer, I made the dealer have the 9k trailer done with custom bunks. Loading is so much better. I will only use custom trailers for larger boats.

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Thanks for all the input, guys, I appreciate it. I will only be going to a ramp 5 miles away a few times in March and a few times in December, from April through November the boat will be in a slip. I suppose I'll also trailer to my dealer at the before and after the season for recomissioning/layup. Other than that it'll be in my driveway all winter. I'm looking at leasing a Silverado 1500 2WD Custom 4.3L EcoTec3 V6

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I have a 235 and it’s such a wonderful boat. I initially had a 5400 pound trailer with the boat and it was very undersized. This boat is rated at 5800 rigged and dry per Grady. With fuel and gear, plan on 6500 and add 15% margin for safety per Grady. My original trailer was warping after one season and we upgraded to a 9k trailer. I tow with my gmc 1500 6.2 with no issue. I did add sumo springs to limit sag. I didn’t want to deal with a 2500 truck and the poor ride quality.

This is very helpful, thanks

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Jason952, what are some of the things you like about the 235? Do you fish the boat? Thanks

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235

What are some of the things you like about the 235? Do you fish the boat? Thanks

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the boat is only going to be towed 2-3X a year, consider renting a pickup from Enterprise's Commercial division. Unless you have a need to park another vehicle in your driveway.....

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for all the input, guys, I appreciate it. I will only be going to a ramp 5 miles away a few times in March and a few times in December, from April through November the boat will be in a slip. I suppose I'll also trailer to my dealer at the before and after the season for recomissioning/layup. Other than that it'll be in my driveway all winter. I'm looking at leasing a Silverado 1500 2WD Custom 4.3L EcoTec3 V6

I think that engine is under powered for that load but if it is all flat, maybe it is OK. I have hills and I know my 5.3L gas engine won't handle a 228, it struggled with my Triumph and that was around 4300 pounds for everything.

I also think you'll be happier at the ramp with 4wd unless your ramps are at a very gentle angle.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If the boat is only going to be towed 2-3X a year, consider renting a pickup from Enterprise's Commercial division. Unless you have a need to park another vehicle in your driveway.....

Parth:

I have tried to rent a pickup a couple times and they would not rent me the truck if I was going to use it for towing.

Is the Commercial Division different? If so, it would come in handy for me from time-to-time and maybe for StevieFrompa as well.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Enterprise has a commercial division. They rent all sizes (1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton) and towing is OK. Biggest question may be if there is a Commercial division location in your city.

Regular Enterprise - and all the “car rental” companies frown on towing.

Another option is a local rental of a 14’ box truck from UHaul. You can tow with them.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Some Thoughts for your towing needs.

1.) I have never been in a situation where I wished I had less power, either on a boat or tow vehicle. If you get a truck that struggles, your stuck with it unless you go thru the hassle of trading it, etc.

2.) Things change. You may find your Horizons expand, you want to take the boat to different destinations, anything can happen in Life. If you buy a truck that will easily haul the boat anywhere, you're that much ahead for your next Chapter.

3.) If you purchase a trailer, please don't listen to someone who wants to sell you a trailer that's undersized for your boat or right at capacity. This is a mistake. Your trailer should have at least a 2000-3000 lb cushion, or you'll blow bearings prematurely, welds break over time, and in one case (mine) the axle actually bowed from the weight of my Seafarer, screwing up the camber and wore my tires out in a few hundred miles before I realized what was happening.

In writing, (or typing, I guess,) I'm planning so you can take that boat anywhere. If your positive you'll just trailer short distances, you can cut corners. besides, it's easier for me to spend your money than mine..

One last observation; LuckyDude is right about having 4WD. You don't need it 'till you need it, but when you do....