Freedom 235 towing capacity

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Enterprise has a commercial division. They rent all sizes (1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton) and towing is OK. Biggest question may be if there is a Commercial division location in your city.

Regular Enterprise - and all the “car rental” companies frown on towing.

Another option is a local rental of a 14’ box truck from UHaul. You can tow with them.

Didn't know about the Commercial Division. I always went to the regular outlets. Good to know, thanks.

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Some Thoughts for your towing needs.

1.) I have never been in a situation where I wished I had less power, either on a boat or tow vehicle. If you get a truck that struggles, your stuck with it unless you go thru the hassle of trading it, etc.

2.) Things change. You may find your Horizons expand, you want to take the boat to different destinations, anything can happen in Life. If you buy a truck that will easily haul the boat anywhere, you're that much ahead for your next Chapter.

3.) If you purchase a trailer, please don't listen to someone who wants to sell you a trailer that's undersized for your boat or right at capacity. This is a mistake. Your trailer should have at least a 2000-3000 lb cushion, or you'll blow bearings prematurely, welds break over time, and in one case (mine) the axle actually bowed from the weight of my Seafarer, screwing up the camber and wore my tires out in a few hundred miles before I realized what was happening.

In writing, (or typing, I guess,) I'm planning so you can take that boat anywhere. If your positive you'll just trailer short distances, you can cut corners. besides, it's easier for me to spend your money than mine..

One last observation; LuckyDude is right about having 4WD. You don't need it 'till you need it, but when you do....
Thanks for this

Reactions: magicalbill

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Going with an F 150 5L V8 4x4 with 3.73 axle 145" wheel base rated for 10900 pounds, got a great deal and should easily handle any of the boats we're looking at

Reactions: magicalbill

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I’ve got the same truck minus the 3.73 gears (mine has 3.55)

First time you hook the boat up and set off down the road you will think it’s a dog, until you lock out gears 8-10. Once you do that, and select tow/haul mode, it’s an entirely different beast. 5.0 needs to run above 2K rpm to make its power.

StevieFrompa

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
I’ve got the same truck minus the 3.73 gears (mine has 3.55)

First time you hook the boat up and set off down the road you will think it’s a dog, until you lock out gears 8-10. Once you do that, and select tow/haul mode, it’s an entirely different beast. 5.0 needs to run above 2K rpm to make its power.
Thanks