Freedom 255 Delta anchor?

Mweiler

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I’m retrofitting my 255 with anchor windlass. I got the kit directly from Grady, but it didn’t include the anchor.
I asked them for the OEM anchor they recommended and they said a 9lbs Lewmar Delta. Lewmar list the 9lb appropriate for boats up to 20ft though. Additionally I cannot find a 9lb Lewmar delta in stainless steel. Only galvanized.
Anyone have any recommendations? Should I be using the 14lb Lewmar delta? I can find that in stainless.

Mweiler

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Also see on Amazon that there is iShure Marine stainless Delta anchors for more than half the cost of Lewmar. Does anyone have any experience with these?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Also see on Amazon that there is iShure Marine stainless Delta anchors for more than half the cost of Lewmar. Does anyone have any experience with these?
Do you mean "less than half"?

iShure sounds like a knockoff company. I have no experience with them, but I wouldn't trust it... possibly inferior metal.

9lbs is light. But with enough chain it will work. Get the 14lb (or even 22lb)... as long as it will fit without the nose hitting the bow keel. Check the dimensions for each and compare to how much room you have to play with - even just temporarily lay the anchor roller in position to measure.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I agree with 9 lb sounding light. I also concur with the chain comment.

FWIW - I'd skip the stainless anchor unless I was 99% certain it would never get snagged (and therefore lost). I really like the look, but would hate myself for spending the extra coin and then having it get lost. Just my $00.02

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
Be sure to rig it for breakaway so you don’t lose the anchor.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Get at least the 14# delta and adda good length of chain. Don't worry about the weight, your not pulling it in the windless is. If your going to use it don't worry about stainless, save your money for other things.

seasick

Reaction score
I’m retrofitting my 255 with anchor windlass. I got the kit directly from Grady, but it didn’t include the anchor.
I asked them for the OEM anchor they recommended and they said a 9lbs Lewmar Delta. Lewmar list the 9lb appropriate for boats up to 20ft though. Additionally I cannot find a 9lb Lewmar delta in stainless steel. Only galvanized.
Anyone have any recommendations? Should I be using the 14lb Lewmar delta? I can find that in stainless.
I am surprised that Grady recommended such a light anchor. To me it seems undersized. If you plan on anchoring overnight or in rough seas, I would go for the 10KG size. For general day use the 6Kg would probably be ok. The comment about chain is spot on. Less chain and you need a heavier anchor.
Regarding stainless, the advice to go for galvanized is how I would go. Depending on where you anchor, some times a loss is inevitable. Losing an anchor is painful. Losing a nice new shinny stainless anchor can be traumatic:)
Finally, it is said that stainless anchors have a fairly limited lifespan. Many cruisers replace stainless anchors regularly (5 to 10 years)
Perhaps others can comment on stainless anchor life spans

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
"Finally, it is said that stainless anchors have a fairly limited lifespan. Many cruisers replace stainless anchors regularly (5 to 10 years)"

If this is true; F'in WOW!

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I installed a windlass myself on my 255 several years ago. I believe I used a 14# Lewmar stainless delta with 25' of chain.

Attachments

• finish3.JPG
    finish3.JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 10
  • finish8.JPG
    finish8.JPG
    308.1 KB · Views: 10
  • finish4.JPG
    finish4.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 10
  • finish2.JPG
    finish2.JPG
    312.2 KB · Views: 10
  • finish1 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    finish1 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 11

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
If your anchoring in 5 ft of water or sandbar-ing it. go with the stainless. Its all about the bling... Whats the point of having 12 speakers if your anchor aint shiny.

Go heavy because you won't be using much scope

seasick

Reaction score
If your anchoring in 5 ft of water or sandbar-ing it. go with the stainless. Its all about the bling... Whats the point of having 12 speakers if your anchor aint shiny.

Go heavy because you won't be using much scope
I got a bid chuckle out of your recommendation.

seasick

Reaction score
"Finally, it is said that stainless anchors have a fairly limited lifespan. Many cruisers replace stainless anchors regularly (5 to 10 years)"

If this is true; F'in WOW!
I hate it when I am or may be wrong! LOL
Here is a different side of the argument;
  • Having been it the stainless steel industry for the past 40 years I can reassure you stainless steel will not deteriorate with age in your anchor locker. Stainless steel like most metals can work harden. For the recreational boater a correctly sized stainless chain and anchor is just about maintenance free for life.
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Sailing/General/Anchor-Chain-Galvanised-Iron-or-Stainless-Steel?pa

Reactions: JJF