Freedom 255 Fuel Burn, Looks Bad??

DawgDr.

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been looking at this boat and I am concerned about the fuel burn numbers on the Grady site. It looks as if the boat falls off a plane below 3500 rpms with the 300 and the 350 yamahas.

http://www.gradywhite.com/255/performance_data/1/F300

http://www.gradywhite.com/255/performance_data/1/F350

We have a 70 mile run to the stream here and with only a 150 gallon tank, I am concerned this boat will not hold enough fuel if the seas are anything but perfect.

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks!!

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If I were to be consistently making 70 mile runs offshore I would opt for the twin 150's. Read somewhere that they burn 12 gph at cruise on that boat. I actually looked at one at the boat show and thought they were pretty nice.That being said I dont know if the dual console configuration would be my first choice for a boat that was going that far offshore a lot , obviously with the intent of doing some serious fishing.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If your main purpose is to go off 70 miles I'd go with a little bigger boat.

DawgDr.

Reaction score
Grog said:
If your main purpose is to go off 70 miles I'd go with a little bigger boat.

I have no problem going that far in a 25' sea worthy boat, in fact I just sold a 25 hydra sport that I fished hardcore for the last 5 years. I want a boat that I can fish the stream here, but also, not too big to tow to the keys each year, which is 500 miles from me.

I like the 275, but not sure if it is worth another 30k??

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Hi There
I have a 255, just finished the second season. She has the 300hp 4.2L, hardtop, porta potty, windlass, extra anchor, extra safety gear,full canvas etc.etc. so she is loaded up on weight. As you know performance depends on many things, number of people on board, fuel and water load, amount of gear, water conditions, etc.etc. We boat in fresh water and seldom do we have calm seas. I can tell you that we consistantly get 1.8-2.0 mpg @ 27-28 mpg. At WOT she gets around 1.5. I also typically have the tank 3/4-full all the time. This boat handles very,very well, and this engine is GREAT. I had a 2008 Tournament 185 with Yamaha 150 and unless you like the safety or perceived safety of two engines I would go with the new 4.2L 300 over the 150's hands down, no contest. Hope this helps.
Bukster

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it doesn't have to be new, an Islander (or similar hull) with twin 150 might be a better choice. It carries 150 gallons and 8.5 foot beam so no towing issues.

DawgDr.

Reaction score
Ed Bukala said:
Hi There
I have a 255, just finished the second season. She has the 300hp 4.2L, hardtop, porta potty, windlass, extra anchor, extra safety gear,full canvas etc.etc. so she is loaded up on weight. As you know performance depends on many things, number of people on board, fuel and water load, amount of gear, water conditions, etc.etc. We boat in fresh water and seldom do we have calm seas. I can tell you that we consistantly get 1.8-2.0 mpg @ 27-28 mpg. At WOT she gets around 1.5. I also typically have the tank 3/4-full all the time. This boat handles very,very well, and this engine is GREAT. I had a 2008 Tournament 185 with Yamaha 150 and unless you like the safety or perceived safety of two engines I would go with the new 4.2L 300 over the 150's hands down, no contest. Hope this helps.
Bukster

thanks for the response! this is the real world experiences I am looking for!