Freedom 255 v 225

fwederm

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new boat

I have been comparing these two

I like the idea of the bigger boat, but when I really look, the usable space seems very similar. The 255 has the engine in the "well", which cuts about two feet off the usable space. The 225 has the engine on the platform. Am I missing something?

I'm pretty sure I want the F300 engine................This will surely be adequate for the 225, but how about for the 255?

Other issues....seems like there is less room for electronics on the 255

Any comments greatly appreciated

Thx

Ed Bukala

Reaction score
Hi There
I have a 255 with 300 hp 4.2L, hardtop. There are many discussions about the 225 vs the 255 but really, just look at the specs and the numbers help make proper decisions, length, beam, cockpit sq footage and that will tell you the differance. I really like the 300 hp, great motor(so far), pops the boat out of the water in milli-seconds . Check on the fuel consumption between the 350 and the 300, that should help in your decision as gas up here in Canada is $5.50-5.75 in US equivilant gallons so every bit adds up. This boat with hard top squats and I would likely have gone to the 350 just to add the weight to the back of the boat to help get that bow out of the water at low speeds. This is my second season with this boat and I must say that we boat on Georgeon Bay in the North Channel of Lake Huron, tons of boat traffic, lots of winds, hardly ever calm waters and this boat handles extremly well. We are very confidant out there and you can never be silly, but we are confidant on how she will handle in all conditions so far. The swim ladder with 3 steps is too shallow. We installed a 4 step as well on the port side. We have had a few warranty issues, canvas in particular but Grady and my dealer have addressed all the issues, has taken some time, but getting done. As an FYI we had a 225 on order when Grady introduced the 255 and cancelled that order to go to the 255. If you want additional info you can send me your e-mail and I can send pictures and additional info. We have a Humminbird 1197SE installed in the dash and fits great as well as a VHF, so no worries about room for instrumentation as far as I am concerned.
Good Luck
Bukster

Old Lion

Reaction score
I have a new 255, having moved up from a 205. The 255 is much more boat than the 225. There is much more freeboard, a useable head, more beam and more stability. It is a great boat. Get it with the 300 hp engine and the power windlass. I also have the trim tabs, which may or may not be standard. :lol: