Freedom 285 Accessory Swich

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I want to a CCTV camera and use one of my unused accessory switches to be able to power it on an off. Can I pull the switch from the front(rather than the underside) to be able to access the terminals on the back of the switch? If so, how do I yank it out from the front? Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What kind of switches do you have? If they're rocker switches, yes - you can probably wiggle it out without breaking the retainers on the back side. Toggles/etc, then no. However, the wiring is usually kind of tight. Is your panel just screwed on? Just remove the panel - it's easier.

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
They are rocker switches.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
the jumper wires are too short to pull it out from the front. Unscrew the panel from the front and lift it up. There is always enough wire for that.

JLR

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Unfortunately, I did try to pull it out from the front and the wires on the back did pull out. Now, I do not know where they connect back to the rocker switch. I recall that there are two wires that pulled out, one still attached, and I believe a vacant blade. ANY help in telling me how to rewire would be greatly appreciated.

seasick

Reaction score
How many lugs are on the switch? Does it have a backlight?

There should be a feed wire, probably red, that connects to most if not all of the stitches. That wire may be daisy chained from switch to switch.
It will probably connect to one of the center lugs. If so when the switch is ON, one of the lugs on the same side as the power lug will have voltage. That voltage will stop when the switch is moved to the opposite position.

If there are black wires that are also daisy chained, they are grounds for the switch indicator lamp and/or back light.
It should be relatively obvious.