Freedom 285 vs 307

yarbrowm

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
My 275 has a new home. Now would like to get a bigger Freedom and struggling b/t 285 and 307. 95% of time boat will be used on large southern lake. Small remainder of time at coast and maybe a trip every other year from Fl to Abacos. Generally have two families aboard. No intentions of using berth but 307 storage nice. Have a 2500 diesel for towing. Not worried about towing permits in SC. Intend to upgrade lift to handle both heavier boat weights. 285 owners: are you satisfied with your boats or wishing you had one size up? 307 owners: is it even possible to think you purchased too large a boat? How easy is it to trailer a 307? If it it miserable the 285 maybe be the way to go for me. How many of you went from a 275 to 285 and if so why not the 307? Some opinions, buyer’s remorse/glee experiences would be appreciated.

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Following, Current 275 owner looking to go bigger myself. I would think trailering 307 would be tough. I would also rather the 307 for trip to Abacos.
Good luck in your search

scorow

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
As a 307 owner for just about a year (but do not trailer), can only respond to this one: "307 owners: is it even possible to think you purchased too large a boat?"

On the water, I can't imagine any answer other than "no." Usually just two of us aboard, sometimes 4. Never felt the least bit too large, especially when going 25-30 miles offshore. My first boat with twins, no problems docking or close quarters handling (and I do not have a bow thruster). Can only tell you that the 307 is a great boat.

Looking at it on a wash rack, I would think that it would be quite a handful to trailer (and 10'7" beam would certainly be an issue).

Reactions: MLangley

yarbrowm

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
As a 307 owner for just about a year (but do not trailer), can only respond to this one: "307 owners: is it even possible to think you purchased too large a boat?"

On the water, I can't imagine any answer other than "no." Usually just two of us aboard, sometimes 4. Never felt the least bit too large, especially when going 25-30 miles offshore. My first boat with twins, no problems docking or close quarters handling (and I do not have a bow thruster). Can only tell you that the 307 is a great boat.

Looking at it on a wash rack, I would think that it would be quite a handful to trailer (and 10'7" beam would certainly be an issue).
I think the 9’6” beam a better choice for me from a practical standpoint. Plus I just measured my storage shed and the width is 11’6”. Backing a 10’7” beam boat into that would probly lead to some cursing and perhaps a coronary.