Freedom Bow Storage Gets Wet

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Has anyone had any luck waterproofing the port bow storage compartment? If it rains or I wash my boat it gets wet inside and have to take everything out for it to dry. It is a PIA to have to do this every time I use it prior to putting it under cover. IMG_20191025_113916693.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I see there's a pretty deep water gutter around most of the perimeter. It must be the angle you are using the hose and the angle of the rain? Do you have a bow cover? Using that would certainly help. You could try a thin (1/4" or so) strip of weather stripping - maybe that would make the lid fit better. Short of taping a piece of plastic on there (when needed), I can't think of another (easy) way.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
What happens, the channel overflows and seeps between the top lip and cover. I'm not talking a deluge but enough to wet the contents where they need to dry to keep from molding. The lid fits tight so it would have to be a very thin gasket. Just wondering has anyone resolved this issue.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
What happens, the channel overflows and seeps between the top lip and cover. I'm not talking a deluge but enough to wet the contents where they need to dry to keep from molding. The lid fits tight so it would have to be a very thin gasket. Just wondering has anyone resolved this issue.

This will work. It's flat, self adhesive, and should do what you want.

I've used it on my boat for the hatch going into the cuddy.

Look on Ebay and search in Grady-White boat parts. Taylor Marine, Grady dealer in Delaware has it for sale.
Screenshot_20191025-145523_eBay.jpg

Reactions: wahoo33417

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If it's overflowing, it sounds like the boat is not level (or slightly bow high)? If it's level/slightly high, you would think that the water should drain out before it overflows?

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
If it's overflowing, it sounds like the boat is not level (or slightly bow high)? If it's level/slightly high, you would think that the water should drain out before it overflows?
You would think so but I can see how this happens with this design. Yes if the boat was level and listing slightly inboard maybe, but that's not always the case.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You would think so but I can see how this happens with this design. Yes if the boat was level and listing slightly inboard maybe, but that's not always the case.
Hmmm. That's strange. It sounds counterituitive to the intended design of the water gutter. Maybe the gutter was formed wrong?

Here's an idea I just had... Fill the gutter. Find the deepest (or the two deepest) spots. Shape a small, barbed thru-hull type fitting to fit into the channel. Attach hoses to the barb - which is now on the underside/inside of the compartment. Route the hoses the aft end of the compartment to drain (or wherever you find is the most suitable spot). You may be able to just epoxy the hoses into the drilled holes, as well. Over time, the hoses may get clogged, but you can either remove them to clear them, or just force water through them.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
This will work. It's flat, self adhesive, and should do what you want.

I've used it on my boat for the hatch going into the cuddy.

Look on Ebay and search in Grady-White boat parts. Taylor Marine, Grady dealer in Delaware has it for sale.
View attachment 9343
Thanks, I thought of that also. From what I can tell I would need something that compresses next to nothing and still creates a seal. I believe on the newer Freedoms they redesigned these to be watertight.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks, I thought of that also. From what I can tell I would need something that compresses next to nothing and still creates a seal. I believe on the newer Freedoms they redesigned these to be watertight.
I take it your "hatch" is on a hinge? If so, there may be more space between it and the "boat" than you're thinking. Meaning, a thin gasket, like I mentioned above, would probably be just fine. Easy enough and cheap enough to experiment with.

Some playdough spread around the spot where the hatch would contact the boat will give you an idea of the gap, if any (with wax paper on top so it doesn't stick to the hatch).

That wide, flat spot on the inboard edge of the compartment lip... it could be that water is dripping down the seat, wrapping around the seat, and then coming into the compartment that way. Of course, that could happen just about anywhere. If you're not familiar with this concept, google and read up on why a "drip edge" is installed on a roof.

In the end, you either have to find a way to stop the water from getting in there... or manage the water that does get in there so as not to soak the contents.

You could tape pieces of paper towels around the inside perimeter (along that bottom, inside edge) - that would at least tell you where the water is coming in.

pda

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Capt Tom - Did you end up doing anything to resolve this issue? I am having the same problem.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Capt Tom - Did you end up doing anything to resolve this issue? I am having the same problem.
No not really. I do keep mine under cover so I usually just let it dry out first which involves removing the contents. I have just learned to live with it along with the anchor locker draining into the forward bilge.

pda

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
@Capt Tom - Thank you for the reply! I'll let you know if I try any of the mentioned solutions.

@glacierbaze - What concerns me is that the compartment is carpeted. It takes a while to dry out, even with a damp-rid container in it. If it was just fiberglass I don't think it would matter as much to me.

TommyGirl225

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
Due to how the latches are situated you can add a thicker piece of weather stripping. Even though our 225 had some factory weatherstrips, just added more as shown since water was still getting in. 50A9962A-B51C-45A6-AE9E-3B7C3EEAF00E.jpeg93641CF5-452E-46CE-94A7-22A4E870D122.jpeg