Fresh to salt water maintenance and precautions

FishTalesDC

Reaction score

I intend to trailer my 208 Adventure to Florida for three months use before returning to Wisconsin for Great Lakes angling in the summer. While learning about sun and salt influences for maintenance purposes I have heard some individuals state that the damage I will instill on the rig will be excessive, and I would be better off having two boats. That's would be wonderful, but cost prohibitive.
I am sure that many individuals have their boats in both salt and fresh waters, and although not ideal - it is possible with proper care. I like to hear from others what opinions, precautions, and suggestions may be offered from their personal experiences.

Workdog

Reaction score
Do you have a good galvanized trailer? The Karavan galvanized trailer I bought in Ohio corroded away in 2 years when I took it to VA. Galvanizing, like beauty, can be just skin deep. And, having a thin skin is never good.

The boat will do just fine. If it was me, I would soap wash the boat after every trip, so the hardware stays nice and shiny. My hardtop frame is pitted from lack of attention from the previous owner. I would spend time soaping down the engine on every trip, especially around the motor brackets/tilt tube area.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome Aboard!!

Wow, someone is really paranoid about sea water!!
Really...two boats because one will go in the salt-chuck?? Holy cow! I wonder what the guy with a 46' Viking would say about that?

As long as you rinse off your equipment after use it's not a problem. You didn't indicate if you were leaving it in a wet mooring for an extended time, or just launching and retrieving for a day-trip or two.

Either way, the outboard should be flushed when you're done with a trip if it's going to sit for more than a couple of days. And the trailer needs to be hosed down. If it has drum brakes they can be a real problem with repeated salt water immersion. Some of them have a way to flush out the brakes. Disk brakes don't have the same issues.

A painted trailer will rust pretty quicly, so galvanized or aluminum are specified for saltwater use.

If you're going to moor it for an extended time you'll want anti-fouling paint on the bottom, and store the motor titlted out of the water.

Otherwise, there is a LOT of boating in bays and ocean, don't let it worry you, just go out and enjoy it.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
3 months in salt water and it's junk? Does this person want to buy your boat, cheap?

Galvanized trailer
good zinc's
flush and wash when done
have fun

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
CJ is correct..
I, too, was paranoid the 1st time(last year,) I took my 232 Gulfstream to the Keys.
1.) As previous posts stated. wash the whole boat after your days run..Stainless, everything.
2.) Flush the engine internally. My 200 Four-strokes have an attachment that allows you to connect a dockside hose to it and run fresh water thru it while the engine is tilted up and turned off.
OR, tilt it up and attach those muff-devices to the lower unit and run water thru it that way while running the engine. Be sure, obviously to have an adequate water supply running to it before starting it up.
3.) Wash the outside cowling of the engine and as far down the lower units as your transom access allows you to reach while leaning over.

Cruise the canals of saltwater-land and you'll find many older boats. The interesting thing is that they're re-powered with newer outboards, probably 'cause they blew off proper flushing and cleaning and the corrosion got away from them.

Admittedly, it's a pain to do all that after every trip, but it really pays in the long run.
Salt sucks, but if you put in the extra effort the boat will be fine.
One thing Jimmy(don't ask) told me to do that was real helpful, was to spray a corrision-inhibitor-type spray on the wiring of the engine and around the inside with the cowling off. I think one brand is Boeshield T-9, or something like that. Have fun, that Adventure will go plenty of places in the big stuff, weather permitting.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
If you're leaving it in the water, be sure to have the zincs looked at or replaced.

Renovator

Reaction score
I agree with the above. Fresh water rinse after every trip and T9 on all electrical, linkages, motor parts, nuts&bolts, etc. will go a long ways to help minimize corrosion. Keep your zincs in good shape and an aluminum trailer would be much preferred over a galvanized one if dunked on a routine basis. I have a 10 year old Shamrock that is raw water cooled (ie:salt) with over 1100 hours and she still is in good condition but you have to stay ahead of it. In a nutshell, don't sweat it.

seasick

Reaction score
FishTalesDC said:
I intend to trailer my 208 Adventure to Florida for three months use before returning to Wisconsin for Great Lakes angling in the summer. While learning about sun and salt influences for maintenance purposes I have heard some individuals state that the damage I will instill on the rig will be excessive, and I would be better off having two boats. That's would be wonderful, but cost prohibitive.
I am sure that many individuals have their boats in both salt and fresh waters, and although not ideal - it is possible with proper care. I like to hear from others what opinions, precautions, and suggestions may be offered from their personal experiences.

My 01 208 is in salt water all summer season ( April to Novenber) and it hasn't corroded away yet! The boat is designed to handle salt so don't worry. I do flush the motor after each trip and I replace zincs each season or as needed.
The trailer is a different story. If it's not galvanized or aluminum, the salt could be an issue. Thorough rinses and a spray with something like saltaway will help. You must get water into all the nooks and crannies.
Personally I would be more concerned with the cold freeze in Wisconsin than the salt in Florida.