fresh water hook up - 96 johnsone oceanrunner 225

fishingstories

Reaction score
does anyone know if i can put a fresh water flush adapter through my tell tale port instead of using the muffs? i heard of others doing it, but not sure if it will flush my motor since it did not come that way from the factory.

jehines3

Reaction score
A garden hose will screw right into the hole for the pee stream adapter if that tells you anything. I have quick flushers installed on the ports to make it faster when I get back to the dock. Just a word to the wise, it helps to have a short 1' hose with male and female ends to screw in if you dont; add quick flushers. Twisting an entire hose length to get the threads bottomed out sucks. jh

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Contrary to popular belief, you do not need to start and run/rev engine to flush. The pressure from the hose will do it. Most people do it, I'm assuming, for psychological reasons-that the running engine is "working" but the household pressure will do the trick.
Go to BW or WM, I believe they have adaptors. Remember, you don't need to pump enough water through to cool the engine, you're just flushing out the salt.

jehines3

Reaction score
Exactly plymouthgrady he said. I do try and do it before my engine cools though to keep salt deposits from forming. I'm in brackish so I'm not anal about flushing, but I try and do it often. I also use salt away about every 2 months through a mixer. Boatersworld has the salt away kit with mixer for like $35 and the quick flush adapter for like $12 each motor. jh

fishingstories

Reaction score
thanks alot, i did not know they had a salt away. i am always in salty water. lets put it this way, by noon you can wipe the salt crystals on the motor and hull. i'll definetly get that quick attach. i am thinkin about 5-10 mins will be good?

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
5 to 10 minutes is a long time especially if you're going to run the engine. Again, you're just flushing the salt water out.
Jehines is right about the Salt Away or Salt-X. Both great products.