Fresh Water Pump Issue

lazy grady

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
9/8/23 I have 2 model# 850-204-133 Shurflo Diaphragm Pumps on my 1994 Grady White Explorer 245 boat. One pump serves an in cabin, sink faucet. The other a cock pit, gunwal shower and hand washing faucet. They both work off the same switch. There are two distinct water lines running from the tank to each pump. When the pumps are powered up, one pump runs as normal servicing the in cabin faucet. It pressures up then cuts off. The other pump runs continuously. Only the faucet in the cabin has water. No water from the gunwal faucet and shower. When observing the water lines going to the two pumps, there is no incoming water to the pump that runs continuously.

Do I have a "vacumn" problem? If so, how do I correct it? If not, should I clean out the water lines as the next step in solving the problem ?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The pump that runs continuously and doesn’t draw water up is bad - probably diaphragm. Check that everything is tight. They can be rebuilt but I usually replace with exact same pump so mounting and hoses are in same place.

Last edited:
Reactions: wspitler

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Can the pump run with a bad impeller? Can you replace the impeller?
These pumps don't have impellers. Its a diaphragm pump. Get the model number and look at a rebuild kit. Complete pump isn't that expensive. I give them a quick look and replace. Not worth my time. I will replace the microswitch when the pump motor doesn't run.

I see you are in the Bahamas. Not sure what parts availability is like.

That pump number doesn't show up. What is the model description on the pump?

9397399.jpg
Shurflo was purchased by Pentair. Still selling under Shurflo brand but part numbers changed. New is probably this one.

page1image3205700240
SHURFLO AQUA KINGTM II STANDARD 3.0
MARINE FRESH WATER PUMP – PRODUCT TECHNICAL DATA SHEET
OEM: 4138-111-A65 AFTERMARKET: 4138-111-E65

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
It is probably a bad pump but check also to see if there is any in-line filter. If there is and it clogs, the pump will run but not pull water.

If that pump is original, you are lucky to have gotten almost 20 years of service:)