Fresh water pump probs

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I replaced my pump 1 year ago with a jabsco diaphragm pump.
I have no water to outlets.
I have cleaned the filter prior to the inlet on the pump ( not dirty anyway)
There is water to and thru' the filter and on to the pump.
Pulled the pump and checked the Diaphragm's, all looks as new.No tares.
Pump operates but no water going thru'.
Last time it was working it was run till tank was empty. Hasn't worked since.
I am pulling my hair out on this one......... I'm guessing it's sucking air or once pressure is applied to the line something blocks at the tank???

Suggestions....... please?????????

reelserious

Reaction score
It happened to me once many years ago. Try disconnecting the hose on the output side of the pump, turn on the pump and see if it will output water. If it does then reconnect and open a faucet and see if you get water. If it doesn't output water....then you probably have a clogged filter or a bad pump.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hopefully someone finds this useful in the future.........
I have a friend who is an electrician/ refrig tech and a great thinker.
I explained my scenario and he agreed that there was not a problem with flow to the pump.
So we pulled it out, luckily I had left the wires long enough( a good tip) so that we good get it out and put it on the deck and pull it apart and check it's operation. All appeared fine as i previously stated no tears in diaphragm etc.
So we put a short hose on the inlet side and primed it but still no water exiting the pump?????
Then he said I'll see it i can give it a hand and blew down the hose as the pump was going......presto, the note changed and out came a gusher.

My summation is that as the last time it was working it ran dry and I let it sit a few weeks which gave the diaphragms time to Dry out or stick together. Anyway it just needed enough water thru' to lubricate the diaphragms and away it went...........

Those diaphragnm pumps really need everything wet and slippery with good seals to work properly. Moral of the story is....."don't let your diaphragm dry out"

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Pump

Those pumps are designed to be run dry and lift water. They have three chambers and a check valve. If the check valve sticks open the pump won't pump.

I'm never lucky enough to have a problem like this go away and not come back. Hopefully yours is "fixed".