Fresh water pump/strainer location

Graybeard

Reaction score
Our new to us 2003 Marlin 30 has a clog in the fresh water system. It happened at a Chesapeake Bay Grady White Club Weekend Cruise. All the members I asked said it’s a clogged strainer, which makes sense because it happened all of a sudden when all this black crud cane out of the sink faucet. But the pump and strainer is not in the same location as they are in the 2004 Marlin 30’s. Anyone know where they are and how I access them? Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I can't say where it is, but it's possible that it is listed/located in the owner's manual. However, the strainer should be between the tank and the pump. If you follow the line from the pump to the tank (or the tank to the pump), you should find it. You'll probably then want to do a flush and bleach-treatment. Also, remove the aerators from all faucets and clean them (leave them out when flushing/purging the tank). You'll also want to drain, flush and bleach-treat your hot water heater, as well.

Most likely what happened before you got it was some combination of the water not being treated and/or left to sit too long. Once you get it flushed and cleaned, treat it on a regular basis and/or use it up regularly and you should be good. You don't want it to go stagnant.

Graybeard

Reaction score
The manual diagram shows the pump is somewhere between the port side cockpit light and the companion way. It doesn’t say exactly where it is or how to access it. I have a call into Grady White to see what they say.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Page 7-28, if we can believe it to be accurate, shows the location pretty well. It shouldn't be too hard to just look in that area for an access panel or something. I bet once you're on the boat it should be pretty easy. "Most likely" the strainer is attached to the pump.

Graybeard

Reaction score
GW said it’s under the helm passenger seat. There’s a carpeted storage box I need to remove to get to it.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Graybeard said:
GW said it’s under the helm passenger seat. There’s a carpeted storage box I need to remove to get to it.

Odd that GW moves it around on the same model boat. Mine is under the Starboard seat accessed by removing the tackle center. Anyway...

Graybeard said:
it happened all of a sudden when all this black crud cane out of the sink faucet.

That black stuff is probably mold and algae and you should get that stuff out ASAP. You don't know how the previous owner used (or didn't) the tank, what kind of water or how long it may have been in there. Not good for you! A cup of bleach for your 30 gallon tank should kill anything in there. Add the bleach, fill the tank, use each faucet (hot and cold) until you can smell the bleach and go for a ride to slosh everything around. After about 3 to 4 hours, put a hose deep into the fill line and flush the tank. You'll be surprised at what comes out from around the hose! After you've done that for a while, remove screens from the pump filter and aerator screens from the faucets and flush each line until you can't smell any bleach. you will probably have to fill the tank several times. This process may have to be repeated until you're sure it's clean and doing this is part of my spring commissioning every year.

For maintenance, I add 2 tablespoon of bleach for every fill. You can't taste or smell it at that amount. We don't drink that water anyway but I still want clean water for washing dishes etc.

Graybeard

Reaction score
The GW customer service rep gave me bad information because the water pump/strainer was not under the port side helm passenger seat where he said it was. So I called them back at 9:30 this morning and had to explain several times the pump/strainer was not under the passenger helm seat. They said they’d have to call me back, so I turned the pump on and listened for the sound. After moving all the stuff my wife has stored in the aft berth, I found an access panel and behind it was the water pump/strainer, clogged with black slime. I had treated the water tank with chlorine and after several cycles of filling the tank and cleaning the strainer, I got drinkable water flowing again. Then at 1:15 GW called me back with more bad info, so I told him about the access penal and where it was located. In 2004 the pump/strainer was moved to the starboard side where it’s been located since. Kind’a Disappointed with GW customer service on this one.