Fresh Water Pump

HBSteve

Reaction score
My fresh water pump will activate when I flip the switch. It fills the lines with pressure then goes off. Even without turning on any faucet, the pump will reactivate for a second or two after a few minutes. A few minutes more and it will reactivate again.....etc etc. Does this mean I have a water line leak somewhere or could it mean the water pump cant maintain water pressure and needs to reactivate? There are no obvious leaks or water in the center bilge. We have an 05 Sailfish 282 and Im assuming the freshester pump is original. It'll be a job to trace all the water lines throughout the boat to search for seepage or a leak. However, if this is a symptom of a failing water pump it would be an easy fix. Anyone ever experience the same issue? Thank You......

seasick

Reaction score
HBSteve said:
My fresh water pump will activate when I flip the switch. It fills the lines with pressure then goes off. Even without turning on any faucet, the pump will reactivate for a second or two after a few minutes. A few minutes more and it will reactivate again.....etc etc. Does this mean I have a water line leak somewhere or could it mean the water pump cant maintain water pressure and needs to reactivate? There are no obvious leaks or water in the center bilge. We have an 05 Sailfish 282 and Im assuming the freshester pump is original. It'll be a job to trace all the water lines throughout the boat to search for seepage or a leak. However, if this is a symptom of a failing water pump it would be an easy fix. Anyone ever experience the same issue? Thank You......
It could mean a few things. First, check if you have an inline filter/screen. It may be full of gunk, quite common for fresh water systems.
You might have a small leak. The only way to know for sure is to undo the output connection and make up a new one that is plugged. You might be able to plug the outlet with your finger but that depends on the pressure and how strong your fingers are:).
If when plugged, the pump cycles, it is probably in need of replacement since it is is most likely leaking backwards towards the input side and losing pressure. Those pumps don't last forever.

You can try this too: Put a garden hose into the fill for the tank and let water run into it for a while ( a nozzle with a strong spray helps). The tank will overflow eventually. let it continue to fill and look for algae flushing out. If you see that gunk, you can be pretty sure that your filter is clogged. The screen type filter come apart and the screen can be cleaned.

HBSteve

Reaction score
Great idea running a seperate plugged output line from the pump and seeing if it leaks back. Ill give that a shot this weekeend. We're pretty diligent with the water tank/screen cleaning but Ill check the items you noted before isolating the pump. Thank you for those recommendations. I appreciate your help....

reelserious

Reaction score
Before you do anything, check the transom shower nozzle to see if it is dripping. They are notorious for not shutting off all the way. If that isn't your problem then follow the above advice.

Good luck.

HBSteve

Reaction score
Thanks re: Transom shower nozzle. Yes we checked that first thing.....Actually I'm sure I found the problem. I lifted the galley sink and found the hot water line was dripping where it meets the nylon nut at the bottom of the faucet hard line. I had a great idea of redoing the line connectors in brass but that backfired. After a rapid progression of "whatever I did made things worse," I ordered a whole new faucet that includes all the adaptors/connectors. It was a frustrating day. I turned a slow drip into an entire faucet replacement....but I'm betting the $187 that it won't leak anymore when I'm done !!