fresh water pump

patrick16

Reaction score
I installed a new fresh water pump on my 2003 Gulfstream and it is not working. The pump is running (I can hear and feel it) and there is water in the tank, but nothing comes out the sprayer. It did spray for a brief moment and then stopped.
I looked for water in the bilge thinking a hose came off somewhere, but it is bone dry. Any suggestions?

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The pump should only run momentarily and then stop until you use water. I think you have already figured out that you have leak or failed connection or something, so there really isn't any option other than to hunt it down...

The only other thing that comes to mind is that maybe there is something wrong with the new pump - i.e. its impeller is loose or something that causes it to run but not create pressure?.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What led you to believe the old one was bad in the first place?

Did you verify:
-- The sprayer is not blocked up by removing the aerator or nozzle?
-- The inline filter is not blocked up (cleanable)?
-- The pickup tube in the tank (if it comes from the top) isn't cracked?
-- Does water squirt out of the pump if you disconnect the output line?

patrick16

Reaction score
What led you to believe the old one was bad in the first place?

Did you verify:
-- The sprayer is not blocked up by removing the aerator or nozzle?
-- The inline filter is not blocked up (cleanable)?
-- The pickup tube in the tank (if it comes from the top) isn't cracked?
-- Does water squirt out of the pump if you disconnect the output line?
The pump did not make any noise or vibration when activated (it had power) which led me to believe it was dead. The new pump is definitely running when activated (noise and vibration).
The tank is under the port side seat, the pump is attached to the transom in the bilge. Do you have any idea where a filter may be? I did not see one near the pump.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Are you sure you're not confusing it with a RAW water washdown pump? Usually a fresh water pump is mounted close to the tank. A raw water pump draws from whatever water you're sitting in... if the seacock is open, of course.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Frequently there are screen filters on the freshwater systems. Take the hose off the pump and back flush the sprayer hose with dock water. If that works try flushing from the pump end. If the works your spray hose is good. Use your hand or a rag to help pressurize it.

Now with no sprayer hose power up the pump and see if it pumps water. If not blow into the hose to see if you can hear bubbles in the water tanks. Work this until you get water out of the pump. Once you have this you can hook the spray hose up and should have water.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Common culprit is a misaligned o-ring on the filter housing and the pump sucks air instead of water. What about polarity? Was that verified beyond looking at wire color?

patrick16

Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure it is the fresh water pump. The raw water pump is next to it on the transom.

Thanks, I will try to track down the leak.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Frequently there are screen filters on the freshwater systems. Take the hose off the pump and back flush the sprayer hose with dock water. If that works try flushing from the pump end. If the works your spray hose is good. Use your hand or a rag to help pressurize it.

Now with no sprayer hose power up the pump and see if it pumps water. If not blow into the hose to see if you can hear bubbles in the water tanks. Work this until you get water out of the pump. Once you have this you can hook the spray hose up and should have water.
Just keep it simple. See if you can get anything to work!

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Where is the tank? Does the pump have to suck water from the tank, or is it gravity fed? Fill the tank, disconnect the outlet hose from the pump. If you have a good flow there, reconnect, and work your way up the line, connection by connection. When you get to the first junction beyond the pump, plug the line and make sure the pump cuts off when it gets to pre-set pressure.

Yamama

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
On my fresh water pump, there is a round container close to the pump on the outfeed line. I unscrew the cap on this round container and there is a metal screen/filter inside...usually covered with green slime. Rinse it off, put back, and fresh water shower sprayer on stern of boat works perfect. Look for a filter right after the pump. That is your problem.

seasick

Reaction score
Before searching for the filter, remove the input hose connection on the pump and the output hose connection. Hopefully you have the easy off winged fittings.
Now turn on the power. The pump should make noise and run as long as you have power. Try not to run too long, some pumps don't like to run dry.
If the pump doesn't run, it is either bad or the power connections are bad,
If it runs, fill the water tank with the hose still disconnected. At some point the hose should start to flow water. You may need to hold that hose down in the bilge but it should flow. If it does, connect it to the pump, leave the output disconnected. Turn on the power and water should forcefully shoot out the output fitting. If not, the inlet side is blocked OR the pump is bad. Just because it makes noise doesn't mean it will pump. If it shoots water, connect the output side and test. If nothing happends you have a blocked output hose or a bad spray head.