Fresh Water System 272 Sailfish

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So, went down to the boat today to prep for the 4th. Turned on fresh water switch and pump comes on, no water from any outlet.
Filled tank until water runs out of top of tank and tried again. No water to system. Accessed the pump and checked filter....clear and clean. Turned on pump, filter removed, but seems no water to the pump while outlet is open and no water apparent in inlet hose(from tank).

Clog in supply system?? Thinking of using my air compressor to blow back to the tank from the pump supply side. Any thoughts?? Hate to think of running new hose and accessing the bottom of the water tank(aft of the batteries and shelf, etc.) I am obviously hoping that since the pump will switch on that it is working.

posting.php?mode=post&f=3&sid=9ab71b6722317b40ba5777d1e213dbca#

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's in the same spot but on my 252 the fresh water pump is behind the panel in the aft berth & the tank is under the aft berth. The hose is maybe 24" long from the tank outlet to the pump inlet. If you pull the hose off at the pump and blow into it you'll see if it's clogged, probably not. The pump may be shot. On mine the raw water pump is back by the stern.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Think they changed things. On my 272 tank is aft under the live well. Still, I would think you should be able to suck water from the tank.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Unless you know the water in the tank is "safe", blowing into it is better. If it's under the livewell, that can complicate things. So what's under the aft berth?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grog said:
Unless you know the water in the tank is "safe", blowing into it is better. If it's under the livewell, that can complicate things. So what's under the aft berth?
Holding tank and space.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Found the problem, as ahill suggested, was an air leak at a cracked plalstic tee in the line. Probably cracked it when I was changing the live well pump earlier.

On the 2000 272 Sailfish, the water tank is on the centerline aft of the batteries and about as far aft as you can get on this boat without being an engine. Can't imagine how to access the bottom of that tank or to replace it without major effort.