Fresh water system clog...how to unclog the tank fitting?

antidoteii

Reaction score
Hi all, I am pretty new to the site and have spent hours looking through the forums....great stuff.

I have a 1998 Gulfstream. The freshwater system is clogged, the shower/sink will will run for 1-2 sec and then it sputters. I have narrowed the problem down to a clog in the L-shaped metal fitting that is in the side of the fresh water tank that the hose to the pump is connected to. I have tried a pipe cleaner, wire, tried blowing into the end of the hose, and cant seem to unclog it. I got the water to drip a little faster out of the fitting, but no more...hence the sputtering pressure.

It does not look like the L-shaped fitting is meant to be removed from the tank. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think its growth (algae) that is clogging it or mineral deposit? would bleach mixed in the tank and left to sit help? how much bleach is too much? Its a 10 gal tank.

Was also considering attaching the garden hose to the other end of the plastic tube to blow it out that way. Is that too much/too little pressure? would it damage the system? How about an air compressor? Suggestions on how to rig it up?

Any advice would be very appreciated! Thanks

reelserious

Reaction score
Re: Fresh water system clog...how to unclog the tank fitting

Did you try checking the screen just before the pump? That is what usually clogs up first. It is pretty unusual for a clog to form in the line itself, even at an elbo.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

Hard to imagine this. Pics would be much better to understand.

antidoteii

Reaction score

it is not the screen in the pump. I disconnected the plastic hose from the elbow connector and water slowly drips out (tank is full). Clog must be in the L-connector.

Im not sure how helpful a picture would be, the tank is located behind a tackle drawer cabinet below the helms chair. can barely fit your head in. The tank is located below the opening with the metal elbow fitting secured into the side of the tank and the other opening of the fitting is attached to the hose that goes to the pump. Theoretically, if I pulled the hose off the fitting and the tank was full, water should start to pour out...not drip. That's why I am almost positive it is the elbow fitting that is clogged up.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

Got it, just would stick my cell phone in there and snap a shot. No need to put your head in...lol.
Anyway, if you can remove the hose, you should have direct access to the fitting and poke a wire in there. Not sure size of fitting if you can stick your finger in there and see if it might be a check valve or something? I would not think it would be a check valve. If it is this fitting, would have to believe it is like a bulkhead and has a flange and nut with seal and can be removed. That is why a pic would help us some theorize with you.....

toybox1

Reaction score

I take a garden hose and shove it as far down the fill tube as I can and run the hose full blast and let it overflow out the fill hole, you would not belive the crap that it fushes out

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

toybox1 said:
I take a garden hose and shove it as far down the fill tube as I can and run the hose full blast and let it overflow out the fill hole, you would not belive the crap that it fushes out

What he said.
I did the same thing and even if i add chlorine in the tank i still get that crap out of it.