Freshwater Tank Problem

timberxx

Reaction score
So I have the 10 gallon fresh water tank. I emptied it today because we are expecting some below freezing nights. After emptying it I put three gallons of antifreeze in it.

I ran the pump for 5 minutes and couldn't get out any antifreeze.

Does the pump have to be primed after bring run dry?

G8RDave

Reaction score
I don't think they need to be primed. I know the one on my 228 didn't after I drained the tank for the same reason you did. Of course I may not have been as fastiduous as you since I'm in Tampa and the freeze was going to be short lived. And I didn't put any antifreeze in either (not that it should make a difference).

When you hit the button can you hear the pump running? Are you trying from a shower nozzle or a sink faucet?

timberxx

Reaction score
I do hear the pump running. My boat only has the shower nozzle.

I may try to fill the tank completely with water, and see if the pump works. It is possible the water "pickup" is stuck in the up position.

reelserious

Reaction score
Try removing the line at the output side of the pump and turn the pump on. That should prime the pump. Then reconnect and you should be good to go.

Also, if you are winterizing a 10 gal tank, I would think that a half to 1 gallon of anti-freeze is more than enough.

seasick

Reaction score
The pump senses the output pressure and turns on and off accordingly. Since you hear the pump motor working, the output pressure is low, probably due to a lack of input fluid. Assuming nothing is frozen, the most likely culprit is a clogged inlet filter. Remove the filter , open it up and check the screen. The water tanks tend to develope sludge/algae and that clogs the screen. During normal season, it helps to add an 1/2 ounce or so of bleach to a full tank of water to reduce algae growth

Bill_N

Reaction score
Your strainer may be clogged. Pull the line off the side of your pump amd check it. That's what happened to mine.

Bill

timberxx

Reaction score
It was the filter. It was black and nasty.

I ordered a filter from my local grady guy.

I would like this filter to last a few years, is there anything I can put in the tank to break up the growth for it to pass through the filter easily? I dont want to have to replace the filter again in 6 months.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
timberxx said:
It was the filter. It was black and nasty.

I ordered a filter from my local grady guy.

I would like this filter to last a few years, is there anything I can put in the tank to break up the growth for it to pass through the filter easily? I dont want to have to replace the filter again in 6 months.

I add some chlorine in my tank and no more nasty black stuff.