Fridge survey - do you use it...?

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi Guys - my new-to-me Sailfish has my first-ever 12-volt fridge. My last two boats had ice boxes that looked just like fridges and I used them for storage - everything from the firstaid kit to WD-40.

I keep my drinks in a cooler on ice on the deck. I pack the cooler at home, carry down to the boat, and carry it home at the end of the day. Transferring drinks from the cooler to the fridge and back at the end of the day seems like extra work - plus folks would have to go down into the cabin every time they need a drink. And the drinks wouldn't be a cold as the drinks on ice.

So, I can't see myself using it for day trips which is most of what I do. I can see the attraction for overnight or weekend trips however, but could still get by without it if I brought some extra ice.

Am I missing something here? If you use your fridge, how do you use it? Do folks keep them on all the time and stocked with drinks? I can see the attraction there of always having a cold drink available on you boat (assuming you have shore power to keep you battery charged which I do.)

So, do you use your fridge? And if you don't use your fridge, what did you do with that space? One could imagine building some drawers out of Starboard and fitting them in there.

Thanks,
-Scott

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do use my fridge but mostly when the wife and kids are aboard for a day or weekend at the beach. When fishing with the boys I normally just throw the drinks and lunch in the cooler with the bait and ice. If i was able to keep my shore power cord attached at all times i would keep cold drinks in the fridge all the time but I dock at a town marina and they do no allow the shore cord to be used over night. I have a Marlin so I dont need the extra space, have more than enough now.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I use it, but really could go without.
If folks have pulled it and replaced with somehting else, I'd like to see the pics.
It is valuable space, so someone must have some ideas.

Winged Pig

Reaction score
We also have a new to us Sailfish that we picked up late last summer. Last year we kept it at a marina that did not have shore power, so other than running it just to make sure it worked we didn't use it. This year we will be keeping it at a different marina that is closer to us and has shore power, so for now we plan on using it.

I like the idea of having cold drinks on the boat that I don't have to lug back and forth every day, but I will reserve judgement until I actually do this for a while.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I keep my boat in the water at a marina on shorepower. I always have the fridge stocked with drinks etc. its also nice because it keeps sandwiches and stuff from getting soggy in the cooler. I also like it becasue it allows left over beverages to be left on the boat rather then being carted back home.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We purchased our boat new in March 2002 and it was in dry storage for the first six months. Once we put it in a wet slip and connected it to shore power, the refrigerator was turned on and loaded.

It has been on continuously since the Fall of 2002, with beer, soda and water always stocked.

Last year I noticed that the bottom of the inner liner has swelled upwards, and it was difficult to get cans into that lower area.

We'd gotten ten good years of service from the refrigerator (Norcold DC-440) and I just replaced it with an Isotherm Cruise CR42. It was the only model that would fit into that area, due to the proximity to a stringer behind the opening.

The new refrigerator is loaded and we expect a lot of years of good service.

NOTE: Our boat is in a slip two blocks from our condo. We frequently walk down there to fish off the dock, or just relax on the boat. Always nice to have cold beverages available.

I doubt that I would use the refrigerator at all if the boat was dry stored, on a trailer, or in a slip without shore power.

Brian

capeguy

Reaction score
I have an 06 Sailfish and the fridge has been used for nothing but storage. But... reading this thread I may use it now. I was under the impression it had to have shore power, meaning once off the dock it would drain the batteries. Now that I think about it reading this thread, that doesn't make much sense... I can see me using it now.

How long can the fridge run on the batteries before draining them?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
capeguy said:
How long can the fridge run on the batteries before draining them?

Are you asking about drifting with the engines off while fishing? If so, then I wouldn't worry about several hours of drifting with the refrigerator on and no charging.

If you are asking about spending the night anchored with no engines running, then the refrigerator, plus anchor light, plus fans, plus interior lights will likely be too much battery drain.

We use a Honda EU2000 when out with the engines off - drifting or anchored. Of course, then we can run the A/C as well. :)

With at least one engine running, the refrigerator isn't even a concern.

Brian

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We use ours and cannot think of living without it. I have shore power at my dock so just leave it plugged in and no problem. It sure beats dragging coolers back and forth.

Motivator

Reaction score
We have a slip with shore power so the fridge is on all the time. We mainly keep our grilling condiments, soy sauce and dips in there along with a couple of those frozen drink mixers in the freezer portion. Only complaint is the metal trim ring is starting to rust, not sure if it can be repaired without removing fridge.

capeguy

Reaction score
really dumb question.... is there a swith to turn on the refrigerator on the Sailfish? I can't find one. Is it always just on?

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
capeguy said:
really dumb question.... is there a swith to turn on the refrigerator on the Sailfish? I can't find one. Is it always just on?

Not sure about your boat. No separate switch on our boat. Just the internal temperature adjustment dial, and it can be turned to the "Off" position.

tilewave

Reaction score
hello, i have a 265 express. i never used the fridge, (didnt want to deal with stuff spilling/ or leaving it on draining batteries by accident/leaving stuff in there etc..) i used it as storage but very small so a waste of space.
anticipating installing a cabinet i removed the fridge. the space down there is big. instead of a cabinet i ;
- made a floor from 3/4 plwood stained mahogany with a lot of varnish
- carpeted the inner walls with indoor/outdoor same colors as interior
- for the opening i was going to get fancy with a cabinet door etc... but instead for maximum accessibility i got a piece of beige canvas sewn nice and put button snaps on it and use that as a door.

i keep my valise raft ( when im not offshore) stowed away plus other incidentals.
when i go offshore the raft comes out and my passengers that bring their duffel bags like their going away for a 3 weekend get "thrown" in there.

FL Marine Plastics

Reaction score
Website
www.flmarineplastics.com
I have built a couple things for people who don't use their fridge. Here is a pc of something I built for a proline and I am in process of doing something for another boat right now

IMAG0922_zpsc1c4c9c2.jpg

IMAG0921_zpse856bab7.jpg

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
FL - that is really nice. What is the ballpark price for something like that?

Thanks,
-Scott

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I use mine all time - we are on shore powere in a slip - It is convenient and keeps things really cold - I have drifted for hours without a battery issue - One time I had live well and frig going and I had a slow crank - Just in case usually have my honda generator as a backup to charge em up

christo15

Reaction score
We keep a few drinks in the fridge all the time since we keep it running while we're plugged into shore power. We love it!

I say keep it.

Lucky13

Reaction score
Have a 265 and use the fridge all the time. ?Nice to have cold drinks whenever. Also in a slip with shore power so it makes it easy.

tilewave

Reaction score
i pulled it out on my 265 express and finished off the space very simply & turned out great. i will take some pics & try to post.