Fridge ?

Papa J

Reaction score
have a 1998 272 Sailfish and have the stock fridge which I never use. Thought I saw posts about converting the space to other things like tackle draws.
Searched and I can't find the the post if someone can find them and share the link or give me ideas what to do with that space I'm open for suggestions, just want something thats usable.

TIA

Mleslie347

Reaction score
Guessing you may be referring to this thread, a dozen or so lines down?

https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/...w-cabinet-installed-w-pics.30238/#post-198081

Going to do the same with the fridge in my ’95 Islander after this boating/fishing season wraps up. Will most likely convert it to tackle storage so that I can get rid of a few of the various tackle bags that litter my V berth. Going to see how large of an opening/cabinet I can accommodate and then hopefully be able to fit a stock tackle cabinet from Boat Outfitters, otherwise I may take a stab at fabricating my own over the winter If I’d have to go to the expense of ordering custom.

Reactions: Papa J

seasick

Reaction score
If possible, keep the same cutout and save the fridge. Come selling time, the fridge not being there may be an issue. I read about this topic a lot and always ask myself. Why not just store tackle in the fridge?:)

Reactions: OBX Grady

Mleslie347

Reaction score
If possible, keep the same cutout and save the fridge. Come selling time, the fridge not being there may be an issue. I read about this topic a lot and always ask myself. Why not just store tackle in the fridge?:)

I suspect you are right, that is likely what I’ll do In the end even if it means fabricating something myself (its a long winter on the Great Lakes, so nothing but time). Was a selling point when I bought the boat as I thought I’d use it more. 6 years later, not so much, but still probably best to be able to pop it right back in if someone wanted to in the future.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good point about keeping the same cut-out. That's what I did also. But although it worked, I figured my 13-year old fridge had little value. Kid at the marina who has helped me occasionally said he could use it, so I gave it to him. Same with the hot water heater.

In 2007, Grady used fridges that ran off the batteries only. When plugged into shore power, it was dependent on the battery charger to maintain the batteries. I just don't trust the 13-year old charger, even though the manufacturer says it will work fine with my three brand new AGM batteries.

As I understand it, newer fridges have the option of running off of 12v or from shore power. If I ever change my mind, which I don't foresee, I will explore that style fridge.

Last plug for a custom cabinet: Because there is more space behind the fridge, a custom cabinet can provide much more depth than the fridge itself. If its worth it to you. For my long distance boating trips, that space will be very nice to have.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Hey @Papa J - a thought. We started using the fridge as an ice chest, so to speak ;)

We buy gatorades in 8-packs and we will freeze half of them and then store them in the fridge with the rest of the fridge filled with cold but not frozen gatorades. By the time we work our way to the frozen, if they are still frozen....we have the transom ice chest....when those are gone, they are ice cold but not frozen.

It is also a good place to add things like lunch meat etc when underway. The key is to make sure the fridge is cold before you stuff them in.

if we are fishing the day of, I trailer the boat to the coast with qt milk jugs that are frozen and it cools it down, then put the frozen drinks in with lunch stuff...and more drinks.

If we have shore power, cool it down and leave the drinks there and they are all used first.

Is a great way to double your drink storage and get use from the fridge.

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good point about keeping the same cut-out. That's what I did also. But although it worked, I figured my 13-year old fridge had little value. Kid at the marina who has helped me occasionally said he could use it, so I gave it to him. Same with the hot water heater.

In 2007, Grady used fridges that ran off the batteries only. When plugged into shore power, it was dependent on the battery charger to maintain the batteries. I just don't trust the 13-year old charger, even though the manufacturer says it will work fine with my three brand new AGM batteries.

As I understand it, newer fridges have the option of running off of 12v or from shore power. If I ever change my mind, which I don't foresee, I will explore that style fridge.

Last plug for a custom cabinet: Because there is more space behind the fridge, a custom cabinet can provide much more depth than the fridge itself. If its worth it to you. For my long distance boating trips, that space will be very nice to have.
On our 2007, we thought we had the same issue and discovered Fridge was AC/DC...Grady failed to hook up the AC portion. We pulled power to it and it works great on shore power.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I pulled my microwave and store tackle in plastic boxes two wide and five high. Made a flip-up starboard door to keep boxes in. Microwave can be reinstalled if need be.

I would keep the fridge opening original too and make a cabinet insert. I found a plastic drawer system for my old boat and a company that would cut everything for you. It snapped together and could use PVC cement to lock everything together (make sure its square). Same stuff Grady used to make the drawers in my 268.