Front hatch seal

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have had a heck of a tour sealing the overhead hatch in the cabin. I have tried three different kinds of seals with limited to no luck, it is still leaking. Anyone have a suggestion on what kind of seal to use?
Thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Forget the foam rubber seals. Just use a nice bead of BoatLife LifeSeal (or similar... NOT 3M5200!!!). Let it set up a bit and then put second bead of sealant next to the first one and install the hatch. Don't forget screw holes. To make cleanup easier, BEFORE you remove the hatch, put masking tape on the deck, around the perimeter of the hatch.

If you really want to up your game, use butyl rubber tape. This is the best stuff out there for this type of application. You can use that under screw heads, too.

seasick

Reaction score
I think that the recommendation by Dennis assumes removing the hatch and resealing not just trying to caulk the rim or seal from the inside.
Also confirm that the leak is in the mounting of the hatch and not the operable window it self

seasick

Reaction score
The question was whether the operational hatch cover is leaking or is it the frame of the whole hatch assembly?

seasick

Reaction score
OK. In that case it has to be removed and the deck surface needs to be inspected and cleanedup . The sealing flange of the hatch assemblyalso has to be inspected and cleaned up. Finally, the assembly would be reinstalled with new sealant ( something like Boatlife LifeSeal or butyl tape) under the flange. The screws should be bedded with sealant also. If the mounting flange of the hatch assembly is heavily corroded, it may need replacement.