Frozen zipper’s on canvas

Dand1

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I’m trying to remove all canvas so I can have all plastic windows replaced over the winter. Most of the zipper,s are completely frozen and won’t budge. I have tried penetrating spray and let it sit overnight, still no movement. Any suggestions on getting these zippers to move would be greatly appreciated

Reactions: Grady fun 5

JJMag

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It might be a little difficult but I run very hot water to dissolve the salt/sodium crusted on it and a wire brush if it’s real crusty I’ve done this multiple times and have worked a very high percentage of the time.
the other less success is salt away or vinegar
Once it’s free Rub the zippers with candlewax works great to get the zippers work properly again .

Reactions: leeccoll

Finest Kind

Reaction score
I’m trying to remove all canvas so I can have all plastic windows replaced over the winter. Most of the zipper,s are completely frozen and won’t budge. I have tried penetrating spray and let it sit overnight, still no movement. Any suggestions on getting these zippers to move would be greatly appreciated

If you are having the plastic replaced, might as well have those old frozen zippers replaced too.
So....don't stress over it and take a box cutter to the fabric alongside the zippers and cut them off.

seasick

Reaction score
Plastic zippers can often be freed up but metal ones may not since the corrosion can 'weld' the teeth together. Use a penetrant on metal and after soaking use a pliers to try to get the slide to move.Try forcing back and forth.
Be careful with penetrants on plastic zippers. Some chemicals can dissolve the plastic

• Wow
Reactions: Grady fun 5

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I bought new plastic zippers from SailRite and replace the old ones frozen ones. Then I keep them lubed with silicon grease.

seasick

Reaction score
I use a zipper lube product that you can find in a lot of marine stores. I think it is StarBrite snap and zipper lube.

Last edited:

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I believe that GW recommends applying petroleum jelly to the zippers annually. Coincidentally, I applied it to my zippers and snaps today.

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
If you are having the plastic replaced, might as well have those old frozen zippers replaced too.
So....don't stress over it and take a box cutter to the fabric alongside the zippers and cut them off.
I think that might just be the answer. The front ones have never been off or open. Bought the boat new in 2012 And all my boating is offshore so there is plenty of salt. Thanks for advise

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Penetrating spray? I hope it’s not something like WD40? Chemicals like that can actually melt the plastic effectively welding plastic parts together.
Silicon spray or just water is a better Choice while patient working it loose. Then bees wax on the zippers to keep them moving and free.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yup - just cut 'em out. Sometimes the simplest solution is not always the first one we think of. I like beeswax, as well - as opposed to some type of lube since beeswax is dry and won't attract/collect dust/debris/etc.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I've had good results with silicone spray. no guarantees if they've been frozen for very long.

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I think that might just be the answer. The front ones have never been off or open. Bought the boat new in 2012 And all my boating is offshore so there is plenty of salt. Thanks for advise
do you mean cut above zipper

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Cut the fabric zipper tape, right along side the zipper teeth. Do not cut the canvas. Another option is to just wedge an awl into the large end of the zipper slide, and force it open enough to remove it from the teeth. Then you should be able to pull the teeth apart.Don't stab yourself!

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Cut the fabric zipper tape, right along side the zipper teeth. Do not cut the canvas. Another option is to just wedge an awl into the large end of the zipper slide, and force it open enough to remove it from the teeth. Then you should be able to pull the teeth apart.Don't stab yourself!

Grady fun 5

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
We’re exactly do you mean when you say cut the zipper tape? Would that be above or below the zipper. That would leave a small strip in the track of the window to remove also to remove , correct?

seasick

Reaction score
If your canvas and vinyl are in good shapes other than hazing bad zippers, I would recommend having a canvass shop replace the zippers, especially if they are large. In addition to needing a fairly powerful walking foot sewing machine, you also need the correct zipper feet for the machine.
This is a link to a typical zipper type for your application if you are going to try replacing the zippers yourself.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
We’re exactly do you mean when you say cut the zipper tape? Would that be above or below the zipper. That would leave a small strip in the track of the window to remove also to remove , correct?

Along side the teeth, not above or below. You only need to cut one side of each zipper to separate it. The zipper should extend several inches above the track, rather than being in it at the top. Once you separate the pieces, they should slide out of the track. You can take a pair of snips, and cut the box, where the two ends are joined, off the top end, pull the teeth apart, and just cut around the slide at the bottom.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Definitions You Should Know to Assist You in Determining Your Zipper Needs

CHAIN:
The continuous piece that is formed when both halves of a zipper are meshed together.
CHAIN SIZE:
Refers to the specific gauge of the chain, i.e., size of the teeth.
TEETH:
The individual elements that make up the chain.
SLIDER:
The device that moves up and down the chain to open or close the zipper.
PULL TAB:
The part of the slider that you hold to move the slider up or down.
MATERIAL:
Refers to the type of chain that is used in the construction of the zipper, such as, metal chain, molded plastic chain or coil (nylon) chain.
TAPE:
The fabric part of the zipper.
TAPE WIDTH:
Refers to the width of the fabric on one side only, of the zipper chain.
TAPE ENDS:
The fabric part of the zipper, that extends beyond the teeth, at the top and /or bottom of the chain.
STYLE:
Refers to the manner in which the zipper is assembled for a particular application.
TOP STOP:
Two devices affixed to the bottom end of a zipper, to prevent the slider from coming off the chain.
BOTTOM STOP
A device affixed to the bottom end of a zipper, to prevent further movement of the half of the zipper from separating.
BRIDGE STOP:
A device similar to a bottom stop, used at the top and of a zipper to prevent each half of the zipper from separating.
PIN:
A device used on a separating (jacket type) zipper whose function is to allow the joining of the two zipper halves.
BOX:
A device used on a separating (jacket type) zipper whose function is to correctly align the pin, to begin the joining of the zipper halves.
HEAT SEAL PATCH:
The cotton and nylon laminated material fused to the bottom end of a separating zipper, used to reinforce the type.
HEAT-SEALABLE ZIPPERS (WELDABLE LAMINATED ZIPPERS):
Any zipper that has a strip of plastic fused to each half of the zipper tape to allow a manufacturer to electronically "weld" the zipper onto the garment or item that is being manufactured, without the need of sewing or stitching.
CONTINUOUS CHAIN:
Any material or size of zipper chain that is continuously spooled without sliders or any other components. Typically used by fabricators on a cut-as-need basis.
CUT-TO-LENGTH ZIPPERS:
(Finished Zippers) Any zipper that is finished to a specific length, with all necessary components attached.