Frying Pan Tower

Cabe123

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
#
I just bought a Grady 192 a couple of months ago. I normally Fish around Little River. I would trailer the boat up to Southport and go out to the tower from there,I want to do some bottom fishing around the tower my question is do I have enough boat for this trip. Thanks

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I have seen video of the tower on their web cam . It looks pretty cool. Remind me of the distance again? I had a 192 with a Yamaha F150 and I recall my fuel tank being 50-60 gallons. The F150 sipped gas and we got nearly 4 miles per gallon . we would fish 20 miles off the east coast of Florida with it but as the internet says, pick your days and watch the weather.

So let's say the tower is like 10 or 15 off? I don't recall,and you head out and seas are 2 to 3 at most and are not building and the weather says no thunderstorms ,then go for it. You won't be running at 25 mph but it's doable . That boat was pretty good when seas were 2 feet or less though. That's what I would target which often happened I June and July when the Bermuda high would flatten out the ocean.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I might make the run in the middle of a flat, calm day for the first time. Get the track in your chartplotter....gauge fuel consumption etc. This way when you do it for real you will have a comfort level. Especially if you leave the dock in the dark to be on the spot at first light like I usually do.

Cabe123

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I have seen video of the tower on their web cam . It looks pretty cool. Remind me of the distance again? I had a 192 with a Yamaha F150 and I recall my fuel tank being 50-60 gallons. The F150 sipped gas and we got nearly 4 miles per gallon . we would fish 20 miles off the east coast of Florida with it but as the internet says, pick your days and watch the weather.

So let's say the tower is like 10 or 15 off? I don't recall,and you head out and seas are 2 to 3 at most and are not building and the weather says no thunderstorms ,then go for it. You won't be running at 25 mph but it's doable . That boat was pretty good when seas were 2 feet or less though. That's what I would target which often happened I June and July when the Bermuda high would flatten out the ocean.
32 miles offshore

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
32 miles offshore

Get a feel for the boat . Head 10 or 12 off ,if you already haven't and then as you get comfortable make the call. The key is to have the motor in top shape and go on a calm day. I bought a Garmin In Reach to compliment my EPIRB. Buy a sea tow or tow boat membership too. I would do it in a 192 on a 2 foot or less day .