Fuel Bladder for 2012 Marlin

andybru

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I am considering getting a custom 100 gallon bladder to fit around the top of the walk around section of the boat. I will then empty it from the starboard side, straight into the fuel tank as soon as I have burnt the 100 gals out of the forward tank. My only concern is the weight on the bow (would be 660 pounds). Any advice would be great!

Cheers

Andy

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I assume you're talking about the area that you would normally "walk" on to get to the bow? Sort of where you would stand to tend to the anchor? As far as the "stress" on that area of the boat, I wouldn't give that a second thought. The weight is spread out over such a large area, it would be a zero issue concern. When you think about it in pounds per square inch, it will be less than a 200lb person standing there.

Now... having an extra 600lbs that far up in just a 30' boat... although I've never done it, my only concern centers around what it might do to your running attitude. I'd do some experimenting and see how the boat handles it - making sure you can keep the bow up - if you get stuck in rough conditions, the last thing you want is to have that bow continually plowing through the water and possibly taking wave after wave over the bow.

You could probably put some rubbermaid containers, filled with water and duct taped closed up there... Or wrap some weights in blankets... You get the idea.

seasick

Reaction score
These things just scare the heck out of me. When refueling in general it is prudent to shut down all electronic and have all passengers get off the vessel should something go awry. You can't do that at sea.(OK, you could shut down all power, conditions permitting)
The bladder if sitting on the forward deck could be hurled into the air when under power and with the bow bouncing up and down. It would have to be anchored securely to keep it from moving around.
In the situation where you have to get to the bow, will you have to walk on the bladder or straddle the forward gunnels?

There are collapsible bladders that can be custom fit to storage lockers or cabin under deck storage areas depending on the specific boat. These are safer since they are both covered and more firmly affixed to the hull. The lower placement also does not shift the center of gravity like an above deck bladder would. As to handling, have 3 0r 4 reasonably sized buddies sit on the forward deck and see how the boat handles ( note that sitting on the bow while under power in that model is technically illegal according to Coast Guard regs and some state laws)

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a 100 gallon ATL fuel bladder for my Marlin. I plumbed it directly into the racor fuel filters and just turn my fuel selectors to the middle position, so they are off. Doing this makes the engines pull from the bladder. Been doing it for a couple years now and it works great, no issues.

I looked into bow mounting but didn't want to worry about securing it every trip so just lay it on the back deck.

Nick

seasick

Reaction score
NikM820 said:
I have a 100 gallon ATL fuel bladder for my Marlin. I plumbed it directly into the racor fuel filters and just turn my fuel selectors to the middle position, so they are off. Doing this makes the engines pull from the bladder. Been doing it for a couple years now and it works great, no issues.

I looked into bow mounting but didn't want to worry about securing it every trip so just lay it on the back deck.

Nick
The back deck doesn't get whipped up and down like the bow can in seas. Having it plumbed directly is also a much better idea than draining or pumping fuel from a forward bladder into a fuel fill in my opinion