Fuel burn 228

wrxhoon

Reaction score
What fuel burn do you guys get on a 228 with hard top?
Preferably on the open seas but flat water usage will give me an indication as well.
List your engine HP, age, prop make and size, load, sea conditions, RPM, speed, etc.. 4 strokes only please.
If you could average use for the day, not instant use and preferably fill to fill not just computer figures.
I want to compare your usage with mine.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have a 226 with the engine hung on a 5.5" jack plate and a Bimini top, but the performance should be similar. I'm running a 16" Solex prop that was re-pitched from 17" to let me turn 5900 rpm at WOT.

The boat came with a 3.3 L F250, but now I'm running a Honda BF250. Fill to fill data isn't relevant in my case since I need to go through a lot of no-wake zones to get out to the Gulf. My instrument fuel consumption data is very accurate. It's never been off by more than 2-3 gallons each 100+ gallon fill up.

3.jpg

I get at least 3 mpg up to 34 mph. That's with 2 guys on board, ice, gear, and 3/4 tank of fuel. When seas are bad and I need to slow down I'll usually get around 2.5 mpg.

The Honda gets 10-15% better mileage than my old Yamaha. In order to get 3 mpg I would need to slow down to 25 mph or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: wrxhoon and JJMag

trilogy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
1999 228G w Hardtop
2017 Suzuki DF250
Full fuel
3 adult males
Fully iced/water/bait/tackle

Open sea 2-3ft: @ 1.75 MPG @ 28 MPH/4500RPM--last time offshore---out/troll/back covered @ 100 miles and burned @60 gallons in 10 hours with seas building from 2-3' to 3-5' as the day progressed so on the way home we had to drop tabs/trim and plow the Grady way home thereby decreasing efficiency (best way to show off the boat in my opinion as on the way in we passed a ton of expensive CC's getting pounded while we didn't even spill our beer)

Flat water: @ 2.95 MPG @ 33 MPH/3900RPM--best cruise when dialed in with trim

Noticed you're Aussie--sorry not in metric...

Reactions: wrxhoon and JJMag

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Noticed you're Aussie--sorry not in metric...

No problem I can convert as i'm familiar with both, we had imperial here in the past.

Doc , the soft tops use considerably less fuel . I had a 228 vista top with 250 Merc optimax and i was using 10-15% less fuel.

The current boat uses about 200 lts per 110 nautical miles. 52.9 US gallons per 126.6 miles= 2.393 miles per us gallon.

This offshore fishing normally driving at 30 mph to get there and back and trolling at 7-9 mph. About 15 miles is in the harbour but Sydney harbour is very busy with commercial craft so not much smooth water.

Usually 3 on board sometimes 4 ( makes no difference) 125 Gallons fuel, lots of ice, full fresh water, full livewell and lots of gear in the cabin.

I'm going to change props to 17" Merc Enertia and maybe even 18"and see how I go with that.

Reactions: trilogy

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I don't have specific data for my boat . This is from memory. F250, 4.2 liter ...flat water best economy is about 3.2 miles per gallon . I have yamaha square smart gauges. I don't recall gallons per hour numbers.