fuel cap "O" ring

Barrettkatz

Reaction score
What is the consensual wisdom about the rubber ring that "seals" the fuel cap filler space? Mine just split and I lost it in the water; is this of any added value? where might one find a replacement?
Thx in advance.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
You should be able to find replacement rings at your local hardware store.....maybe not a Home Depot, but a decent True Value (or equivalent). I replaced both of mine this year for about $2.00. My thought was that the O-rings were more to keep water out of the fuel than to keep gas and vapors in.

Enough Already

Reaction score
Very important if you want to keep water out of your fuel. I would find a source for the correct Perko part. I have used "close matches" from the hardware store and have had premature cracking, poor fit, etc. Why screw around with with something potentially damaging (water in fuel) when you can prevent it for a few bucks? Cheap insurance - I keep an extra supply of 3 on the boat for emergencies (main, aux, water tank) and replace them at the first sign of any wear.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
email perko and they will tell you the part number (or it may be on their site). i had to get one for a diesel fill and they were very helpful. WM carries them, just need the number.

as stated, replace it if you want to keep water out, very important. good luck, ron

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I replaced mine a year or so ago. My hardware store had them and from what I recall its a metric size.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Go to a local auto parts store. Most have a box of assorted O-rings.I replaced both of mine about a year ago for less than $2.00 and no headach of ordering. Yes they are very important. You dont want water getting into your tank around missing O-rings.

uncljohn

Reaction score
I don't know if its funny or sad when someone asks if a little rubber gasket has any value.... :jaw

arich

Reaction score
SERIOUSLY, e-mail or Perko. They will send you TWO new ones for free.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
arich said:
SERIOUSLY, e-mail or Perko. They will send you TWO new ones for free.

Yup, sent me new ones along with the rings to raise the fuel fill. Getting ready to call them for free replacements for the water tank and holding tank caps.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How are the remote vents with filling up ahill?? Can you hear the fuel coming up the hose when full? Any fuel spray out the vents? do the new Grady's still have the Perko fill/vent combination.

ahill

Reaction score
You can hear the change & slow down fill rate. I have yet to over fill.
Don't know what newer Grady's use.
The eco friendly fills are akin to ethanol. Good idea but are real world problems.