fuel efficiency questions on 360

pablor

Reaction score
Hi

I am trying to see if anyone can help me find out why my 360 can only get 0.8 mpg at cruise. Even 0.8 is hard to get and I need a nearly empty boat. I run the boat with curtains and it is bottom painted with hard paint. It was cleaned mid season and 0.8 was the best I could get after the cleaning too. I have tried all sorts of trim settings. I find that with the engine up 3 clicks and the trim tabs down 2-3 clicks I get the best fuel efficiency, but nowhere near the 1.0mpg published. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
are you going by the gauges or refuel measurement? my '02 gulfstream with twin f200's does better than the tested numbers in actual usage. the gauges, however, are off north of 10% in normal cruising and almost 20% if you toss in a day of trolling. my guys said they could dial it in better, but since it reads to the high side, i've left it alone for some wiggle room. ron

pablor

Reaction score
i am going by the yammie fuel flow numbers divided by the gps SOG...

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i would keep track of miles (gps) and actual fuel amounts for a couple of good runs and see how that compares to the gauge amounts. then, keep an eye on the gallons burned based on the gauge and how much fuel you actually have to take on. like i said, the gauges can be fine tuned, so hopefully you are seeing the same thing i do.

pablor

Reaction score
what about e10? i hear that is a 10-15% increase in gph as well?

Tunacious D

Reaction score
e10 does not have the same energy content as straight gasoline. It has been said that mileage is roughly 10% less than straight gasoline.

Banana River View

Reaction score
Pablor.. I have an 2006 - 360 with trip 250 yamahas. I have owned the boat for 2 years and have always got high 0.7 and low 0.8 mpg. I don't have bottom paint and the boat is kept on a lift.

I have found that I get the same fuel efficency if I run at 4200 or 4800 rpm. Once the boat is up on a plane the fuel effeciency does not change much so I usually run at 4600 rpm at 34 mph. I still get high .7 or low .8 mpg.

I think a lot of the specs you see are not real world. Just think of the weight we add to our boats once we have them. We load them with electronics, fishing gear, family stuff, fill the water and fuel tanks.

I think you are getting about all you are going to get for effeciency. I usually trim up the engines until thet stop spraying water from the cavitation plates and the use the trim to bring the bow down a little.

My 2 cents worth.. BRV PS.. my 360 is for sale.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
pablor said:
what about e10? i hear that is a 10-15% increase in gph as well?

The Ethanol has 30% less energy per unit volume. Since the E10 is only 10% ethanol, then the mixture is has three (3) percent less energy per gallon.

This would likely result in a measurable decrease in performance, or increase in fuel consumption, but not the 10-15% noted above.

Brian