Fuel fill and vent hose lengths

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
Our 1989 228 Seafarer needs new hoses for the fuel tank. Hate to guestimate the lengths and be wrong. I called GW just now and they do not have those measurements in the computer so that did not help. Would anybody happen to know the lengths of these two hoses? There are also several different companies that make the fuel fill hose. Is one any better than the other or are they all pretty much the same?

JeffN

Reaction score
You maybe in more of a hurry to get yours done but when I did mine last winter I pulled up the deck and then pulled the hoses out and measured them. I tried to guesstimate but if I had used my guesstimate I would have been a little short. :-| Then while it was open I checked for all the parts I would need and ordered everything at one time. If you want to not have the down time I guess you will have to order ahead of time. I'm sure someone here has a measurement for you. I replaced the gas fill fitting too as after I got the hose off I did not like the looks of it. I think I got my hose from Hamilton Marine. Good luck with the project.

seasick

Reaction score
If you can disconnect the hoses at the tank and at the vent/fill, you can run an electricians tape through the hose, mark the tape when it comes out the other end and then remove the tape and measure the length. Depending on the run and number of bends, you may be able to get a standard tape measure through the hose also to measure. If you cant get the hoses off the fitings, you can measure back a few inches and cut the old hose. measure as above and add the lengths of the cut offs.

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
I definitely don't want to wait. Did you mean pull the deck over the tank up or did you actually remove the entire cap? I really don't want to wait that long :jaw . If I had any other repairs I needed to do such as stringers etc then maybe. The boat is probably as solid as any new boat. I have checked every nook and cranny and have yet to find the first sign of rot anywhere. I am delightfully surprised at the structural condition of the hull, stringers, transom and so forth. I almost have everything back to operational condition and then I will work on the aesthetics. I will try measuring with the hose off both ends for the fuel fill and add 1 1/2 feet for the vent hose. Seems like my only choice unless someone pipes in with the actual measurement. Thanks for the tips.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Call Grady, again, and ask for a build sheet on your year/model. Fill and vent hose will be shown, about 14' for the dual tanks in my '86 T-225 ... :hmm

JeffN

Reaction score
Got Grady? said:
I definitely don't want to wait. Did you mean pull the deck over the tank up or did you actually remove the entire cap? I really don't want to wait that long :jaw . If I had any other repairs I needed to do such as stringers etc then maybe. The boat is probably as solid as any new boat. I have checked every nook and cranny and have yet to find the first sign of rot anywhere. I am delightfully surprised at the structural condition of the hull, stringers, transom and so forth. I almost have everything back to operational condition and then I will work on the aesthetics. I will try measuring with the hose off both ends for the fuel fill and add 1 1/2 feet for the vent hose. Seems like my only choice unless someone pipes in with the actual measurement. Thanks for the tips.

If you were addressing me I just took the deck up over the tank. On my model that is the only way to get to the tank ends of the fill and vent. I had a liitle trouble replacing mine as I believe the tanks and hoses are installed before the inner liner is dropped on. Pinched the fill line in one area. I had to go into another area and remove some wood to get the new line in. Like yours all the structural areas were sound. I also found that the holes the factory drilled for the lines were not glassed after, no sign of rot but I dressed all these holes before replacing the lines.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Will call tomorrow and ask about the build sheet.

:huh Don't know about '89, but in '86 each model had a 'Bill of Materials' which consisted of a list of everything (size, quantity, lengths, vendor) needed to finish out each hull ...