fuel fill hose changeout

glemboh

Reaction score
My 1997 Gulfstream is due to have all of the 3/8" fuel feed lines replaced. While I`m in there I would like to replace the fuel fill hoses along with the vent lines. I have two tanks in this boat. My question is
1. Will the old hoses pull out easily ?
2. Are there clamps retaining the hose in the hidden part of the deck floor?
3. Can I just attach a piece of rope to the old hose to act as a guide for the new hose or are there better ways to do it ?

It looks like I would pull the fill fittings off and work from that end.
All advise appreciated.

glemboh

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
1. No, they won't ..

2. No, probably not ..

3. No, won't get you anywhere ..

I cut off a 1.5" dowel and sanded it down to fit inside both the old and new, then screwed it thru the hoses. I had the tank out, so that's the end with the most leverage available. Took two people, one pushing and one pulling. Not easy, but finally got there ... :?

Seahunter

Reaction score
The hose are clamped down every so often on mine. I had to remove both deck hatches to replace the fuel lines.

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
Fuel Fill hoses

When I did my Gulfstream, they had caulked the hoses where they went thru 2 bulkheads under the sole (under the drivers' seat) and they were brutal to get out. I connected the new fuel fill hose to the old (used a plug, electrical tape and plastic ties to keep together) and pulled up from the gas fills (after disconnecting ground wires and all). I then had to cut a new inspection hatch in the side of the gunnel to re-connect.

Workdog

Reaction score
glemboh said:
My 1997 Gulfstream is due to have all of the 3/8" fuel feed lines replaced. While I`m in there I would like to replace the fuel fill hoses along with the vent lines. I have two tanks in this boat. My question is
1. Will the old hoses pull out easily ? Curmudgeon was correct, they won't.
2. Are there clamps retaining the hose in the hidden part of the deck floor? There were in mine... on the stbd side of the stringer to the right of the main tank. When I pulled the fill hose towards the tank, I was able to get a hold of the plastic zip tie just enough to cut it with nippers.
3. Can I just attach a piece of rope to the old hose to act as a guide for the new hose or are there better ways to do it ? I did, when I replaced the fill hose to my main tank. It was easier for me to pull the old hose out (which takes a set over the years it sits in your boat) without a new hose attached. Then, with the rope in the new hose and the front of the hose taped so dirt doesn't get inside, I pushed the hose from the tank side through the stringer, let the rope guide the hose towards the back of the fishbox, then while someone pushed the hose from the tank hold, I guided the hose up toward the gunwale from in the access hole by the fishbox. This worked pretty well for me.

It looks like I would pull the fill fittings off and work from that end.
All advise appreciated. You will need to cut a hole in the side of the gunwale abeam the fill hose port. This is to access the nuts to the bolts holding the fill port to the gunwale and to unscrew the hose clamps. I used a rotozip to cut a round hole and later covered it with a color-matched tempress screw in cover. The rotozip makes a lot of dust, but that cleans up with a shopvac. Make sure you don't cut too deep, into the fill hoses and vent hose. You can see how much clearance you have by looking up there from the forward end of the under gunwale rod rack on the stbd side of the boat. If you have plastic thruhulls, I would recommend you take this occasion (while the fill hoses are out) to replace the thruhull for the fishbox. You won't have an easier time to get to it..
glemboh

glemboh

Reaction score
Thanks to all especially Workdog. The info provided is everthing you need to know to do the job. Only thing I also noticed, is there is an access panel in the cabin that will help guide the fill hose for the auxillary tank.

Again thanks,

glemboh

Workdog

Reaction score
glemboh said:
Thanks to all especially Workdog. The info provided is everthing you need to know to do the job. Only thing I also noticed, is there is an access panel in the cabin that will help guide the fill hose for the auxillary tank.

Again thanks,

glemboh
You're welcome! So, you finished the project? That was a lot of fun, no?

glemboh

Reaction score
Actually, I didn`t do the fuel fills. After reading your note indicating the need to cut an access cover, I contacted Grady White customer service and they thought the fill line hoses should be good for 25 years, about the same time as the tanks. ( 12 yrs to go) They did make me aware of the need to routinely flush the fuel tanks off with a hose to prevent salt water corrosion. I will occasionally pull the access plates during the season flushing with a water hose and add that to my routine before winter storage. Again thanx.

Glemboh

richie rich

Reaction score
25 years? don't bet on it....at 20 mine were already dry rotted out....they are no different in terms of life than any other hose....15-20 max is more the reality.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
richie rich said:
25 years? don't bet on it....at 20 mine were already dry rotted out....they are no different in terms of life than any other hose....15-20 max is more the reality.

And if you add ethanol to the mix, maybe less.

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
Agreed; I didn't get 20 out of mine (I added gas prior to launching and one could smell the gas). Pulled the fuel fill hoses and they both were cracked right where they took the bends...

Reel Quick

Reaction score
Hi all, new to site and in the process of replacing the tanks and lines on a 25 trophy pro.
I am asking my self, do they install everything on these boats and then bolt,glue and screw these thing together?
Pulled up the 2 floor panels and found all kinds of good stuff.
A hole in one of the tanks under the rubber and 2x4.
Happy I decided to start tearing away on this thing.
I`m really looking forward to replacing the fill lines.

Love the site and appreciate all the input.
Thanks.

Reel Quick

Reaction score
I think I`m going to get the dremil out and make another access hatch to get to the starboard fill ports.
Are you fairmilure with my model??
If so ,why is there 50 pounds of lead shot in my forward bilge?
Why is there a plug in the PVC that leads to my rear bildge??
I want all the water on the outside of my boat.
Thank You for the come back.....And any and all advice is welcome.
Sorry this a 1989...I figure it was time for a once over..I got the boat and electronics for nothing...I took over the motor payments.
I have been 110 miles off sword and tuna fishing. And we came home in 8-10~s easy .Thats why i jumped on it.

richie rich

Reaction score
ReelQuick...I've got a Sailfish, but that shouldn't matter with your questions.....

Lead Shot....well, come to find out from previous boat owner posts that the shot was used to distribute some weight and keep the bow down and the boat a little more level...maybe even help with some porposing...strange, but true!!! Guys had issues with the bag breaking open and getting pellets into the bilge area.
If I found that I would melt the lead shot into 16 oz sinkers...they're like $4 at the store these days!

You should have 1 PVC tube coming from the forward bilge to the rear bilge with no plug for constant forward compartment draining, but you should have a 2nd PVC tube AND plug which comes from the fuel tank compartment to the rear bilge area....the fuel tank area is normally closed off from the front and rear bilge to keep water away from the tank....but you would then periodically remove the plug and get any random water that "somehow" has gotten in there.
Everything should come through the center of the boat, to the rear, and get pumped out. But over time, the PVC tubes just crap out and water is everywhere.

Nice job getting through the 10'zees!

Reel Quick

Reaction score
Man ! looks like I came to the right place.
I replaced the bulk heads to the cabin with 3\4 star board yesterday.
Lots O fun !
Would I be better off removing the filler necks on the gunnel to replace the fuel fill hoses or just bite the bullet and cut an access hole?
Sorry ...I just checked this thread and I think has already been answered.
Thank`s.

Workdog

Reaction score
Reel Quick said:
Man ! looks like I came to the right place.
I replaced the bulk heads to the cabin with 3\4 star board yesterday.
Lots O fun !
Would I be better off removing the filler necks on the gunnel to replace the fuel fill hoses or just bite the bullet and cut an access hole?
Sorry ...I just checked this thread and I think has already been answered.
Thank`s.
In my case I had to cut the access hole. Couldn't remove the "filler necks" without the access hole. Cutting the hole with a rotozip wasn't that difficult. Can't remember, but I think I cut the hole to fit a 6" access plate.