Fuel fill hose replacement 192 Tournament

Fathead.Low

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the fill hose on a 1994 Tournament 192. I've removed the clamps at both the fill location as well as at the tank but the hose won't budge. Is there something I'm missing? I can't see any other access point.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You need to eat your Wheaties. Seriously. Fuel fill hose is very stiff and hard to work with - especially as it gets older. Try using a large slip-joint pliers or strap wrench and twist the hose till it "cracks" free. Once it will rotate, it will be easier to twist-pull it off. You also may need to remove the deck fitting depending on the amount of space between the fitting and the first "hole" that the hose goes through.

Fathead.Low

Reaction score
You are absolutely correct in that I need to eat more Wheaties...

I will definitely try the slip wrench or perhaps vice grips. It's just weird, because I've got the hose disconnected at both ends, but for the life of me I can't get it to push or pull through. Thank you!

Mariner

Reaction score
I recently changed my fuel fill and vent hoses on an 88 Offshore 24. In my case the main fill lines had cable ties secured to various locations in an area that was not easily accessible. I had to remove the deck hatch over the forward tank and cut a 4" inspection hole in the bulkhead under the helm seat to gain access. An inspection plate was added to cover this hole and allow future inspections.

Mariner

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Oh, do you mean that you've already got the hose loose from the tank and deck fill barbs? Like Mariner said, there will be zip ties or clamps securing the hose at certain spots - I think (although not positive) that it's actually done by code that way. And, yes, sometimes an access point needs to be cut - but don't just go and yank the old hose out without first attaching the new one to it to help pull it through. You can sew and tape the ends together.

Fathead.Low

Reaction score
I definitely planned to secure the end of the new hose to the old before pulling it through. But it sounds as if there is/are clip(s) holding the line in place. I'll see if GW has any information on the location of those. But if anyone has that information I would be grateful if you could pass it along.

Mariner

Reaction score
One other point of interest is a large amount of silicone is used to secure the hose(s) thru bulkhead holes. If this is the case, the silicone needs to be cut/removed before the hose can be removed. You really need to remove the fuel tank deck cover to do investigate it further. I drilled a small hole in the bulkhead under the fuel deck and used a snake camera to determine how the hoses were routed. This also assisted me in determining the approximate location for the 4" inspection plate. Make sure you change out the vent hose as well.

Good luck,
Mariner

Fathead.Low

Reaction score
Great suggestion on the camera. I've got a plumber friend that has a small camera he uses to find pipes behind walls. I'll have to give him a call and borrow it.

mboyatt

Reaction score
How did this all turn out? I replaced all of my fuel and vro lines, except for the fuel fill hose. I was worried about what you experienced and I don't want to hack the boat apart in the process. Would be interested to know how things went.