Fuel Fill Hoses...Who's Changed Theirs?

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.littleriversportfishing.com
Model
Sailfish
Starting to get some fuel smell in the bilges and noticed some sheen floating in their as well. Pretty sure it is the fuel filler or vent lines rather than the tanks due to where I'm seeing the sheen first show up. Looking for tips or suggestions on how to snake new lines from filler caps on gunnel to the tanks. Boat is a 94 Sailfish 272. Thanks in advance.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My '93 Tournament had a spare set taped to the originals, but I never switched them. Only thing I recall GW ever doing with a future owner in mind.
Can you see the full route of your hoses, and both end connections.

Reactions: Late Again Grady

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
Model
Sailfish
My '93 Tournament had a spare set taped to the originals, but I never switched them. Only thing I recall GW ever doing with a future owner in mind.
Can you see the full route of your hoses, and both end connections.
Unfortunately, I cannot see the full routing. They leave the tank and go through the stringer adjacent to the tank, then I can locate the filler end by removing a bulkhead in the rear berth under the bridge.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You could use an automotive smoke test to check for leaks.

seasick

Reaction score
I don't think your assumption that the sheen is from the fill and vent hoses is accurate. It's possible but so is a tank leak and maybe more probable.
Some additional might help:
First of all, old fill and vent hoses tend to become permeable as they age. That allows vapors to seep out before actual liquid. So if when you noticed the odor you also found the sheen, you probably have a leak somewhere else.
Is the sheen there all the time and after the tank if flushed with fresh water?
Is the problem more likely after adding gas?
Do you normally fill and top off the tank?
If the sheen or odor worse with a full tank versus a not so full tank?
Have you checked the sender flange for any obvious leakage?
The more common place on those tanks to develop a leak is on the bottom where the tank rests on a bulkhead and you can't see those areas without pulling the tank.
Your tank is 28 years old if original and pinhole leaks are a high probability

Reactions: Hookup1

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
Model
Sailfish
I don't think your assumption that the sheen is from the fill and vent hoses is accurate. It's possible but so is a tank leak and maybe more probable.
Some additional might help:
First of all, old fill and vent hoses tend to become permeable as they age. That allows vapors to seep out before actual liquid. So if when you noticed the odor you also found the sheen, you probably have a leak somewhere else.
Is the sheen there all the time and after the tank if flushed with fresh water?
Is the problem more likely after adding gas?
Do you normally fill and top off the tank?
If the sheen or odor worse with a full tank versus a not so full tank?
Have you checked the sender flange for any obvious leakage?
The more common place on those tanks to develop a leak is on the bottom where the tank rests on a bulkhead and you can't see those areas without pulling the tank.
Your tank is 28 years old if original and pinhole leaks are a high probability

The problem occurs when I top off the tanks. As a full time charter boat, this is almost a daily occurrence. It is also more prevalent when I top off the 52 gal. reserve tank as apposed to the 150 gal. main tank. I have not seen any obvious leeks from the tanks or sender flanges. The smell dissipates after burning off some fuel from both tanks.

Also, the first signs of the fuel sheen are in the starboard side bilge and it has to run down to the stern before it can cross over to the center.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
My tanks are 25 years old and have been on my TODO list for a few years to be replaced. I have been monitoring them for leaks but so far they are ok. Couple of pointers though that may help you.

I have no experience replacing the hoses with the tanks in place. You may be able to PM some of the members who have replaced their own tanks.

If you are convinced the tanks are ok and the leak is in the fill or vent hose you can prove that but using the automotive smoke test in the above post. I also found a inflatable rubber plug that you can adapt the tester to your fuel fill with. This plug seals well enough that you can pressure test the tank too. Talk to your automotive friends about this tester. It's commonly used to find difficult fuel leaks.

I had a long thread going with others who have replaced tanks. There is a discussion in here about the fuel compartment. Grady isolates each fuel tank in it's own compartment. Ideally the compartment drain is plugged so leaking fuel doesn't drain into the bilge and blow up the boat. Some boats have the plug installed and some don't. You really need to sniff test the access port over the sending unit or pull the hatch to test what is collected in the compartment.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I was able to resolve a fuel smell issue by replacing the sender gasket. The original cork one had deteriorated. I only noticed the issue when I had the tank topped up.