Fuel Filter Water Separator

Grey56

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good evening brothers & sisters -

Have two questions this evening - one is for this picture & whether it is in fact the water-fuel separator filter I believe it to be:

Filter.jpg

Second question is: how to clean up this cowling. I have a DeWalt buffer courtesy of the wife from xmas - but want advice first.

Cowling.jpg

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
It looks like fuel water Seperators but aftermarket no Yamaha. I'm not familiar with sailfish models so location looks weird. Cowling paint looks shot, they will need to be repainted.

Grey56

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It looks like fuel water Seperators but aftermarket no Yamaha. I'm not familiar with sailfish models so location looks weird. Cowling paint looks shot, they will need to be repainted.
They're actually Mercury - so I'm wondering if they were ever changed.

As for the cowling - I was afraid so. Sigh - worth a shot.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
get the ones with the clear bowls. Racor 3213 or 3214 or equivalent. Be careful. There are two sizes of thread out there. I think Mercs oem bracket was different than Yammie,Zuke,Honda.

Thing is..is doesn't matter what engines, someone may have replaced the bracket (aka manifold aka housing). Measure the hole in your filter. Take a pix. go to west marine and look at them....

Paint looks shot. hey, flat black is the latest rage.......

Reactions: Grey56

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I can't comment on the fuel water separator, but with regards to the cowling... is it just the cowling or is the lower half of the motor faded as well? If just the cowling, you can relatively easily and quickly pull the cowling, sand it down, prime and repaint it. There are websites where you can also get the stickers or emblems for them as well. The paint, as least when I did the Honda 130 on my old Arima, was readily available nearby and for not too much money. I think it probably took a couple of hours to sand and get the first coat of primer on. Then obviously it's a bit of a waiting game until it dries. But all in all, a very doable project. You could also look online and see if you can find a replacement cowling, depending on the year, make and model... it might be an easy find, and some of them are only around $500 or so. If you'd rather buy new or a good used replacement that is. Third option would be taking your cowlings to a local paint shop and having them do it for you, though again they were pretty easy to do when I did the one on my previous boat.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Buffing will make the currently painted parts shinier... but it will also enlarge the spots where the paint is worn through to the fiberglass. Repainting is your option.

As Skunk mentioned, switch to clear bowl Racors. Or, at least, put some decent spin-on filters on there. Mercury, Yamaha, Mallory, etc.

Grey56

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Fellow Captains - I just wanted to say thanks. Whether you know it or not - being able to come on here with any number of questions & then know that help is coming........is incredible. Thanks to you all - again you have been invaluable to the mission.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yep, that is them... 10 micron replacements should work fine.