Fuel Flow Monitoring Systems - what are you using??

cgmiller

Reaction score
Gents,

Now that my transom repair project is almost over..it is time to address my other issues. I want to install a fuel flow metering system for the twin Yamaha 150 4-strokes that are on my Grady. I have used the flow scans and navman/northstar units. What else are guys using????

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Chris, congrats on your transom project. I too have the navman/northstar fuel flow.
Navman was good until northstar bought them, now their support sucks. Will never buy from these folks ever again. Go anywhere else.

antaris

Reaction score
I recently installed a Lowrance HDS-5 unit, along with their fuel flow sensor.

Only tested for 2 days, seems to be ok - but it does not work at idle and low rpm (makes sense - the flow is probably not constant).

The main bonus is that I get a direct litres/mile - since I found the litres/hour a bit unclear (well, since I may be burning more l/h, but I might be covering a higher distance - so I wanted a clear number). Of course you may set it to gallons/miles...

cgmiller

Reaction score
Are you running duel engines? My typical flowscan and navman experience has been with a single engine. I did install a flowscan twin scan system in a 34 Silverton with dual engines, but that was a $900 set and it was a direct replacement for the original tachs..the yammies have the digital tachs, so I am short on dash board space..

antaris

Reaction score
If the question is to me... no, I am running a single Yammy F225!

The flow scan info is shown on the main Lowrance screen - so no extra dials.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Are your F150's Command Link capable? (I think that started with them in 2006).

If so, then the easiest way is to interface the engines to an NMEA 2K bus, then you have LOTS of engine data available for display or use in calculations. Fuel consumption data comes right from the ECM and is very accurate.

As for display, if you have almost any new(er) NMEA 2K unit, then it will display the engine data. I have an older LCX-112C and have a custom screen with all the digital info I want.

I use a Lowrance LMF-400, with an EP-83 on the NMEA 2K bus, to display LOTS of data screens. One of those is fuel management.

I had a Floscan 9000 when we had the single 250HP OX66. When we repowered to the twin F150s, I included Yamaha Fuel Management - it still works and is very accurate as well. But it costs a lot more than just grabbing the NMEA 2K data for use.

Brian

cgmiller

Reaction score
Brian,

I am running an older pair of Garmin plotters that I have been moving from boat to boat and are filled with fishing history. I dont think I could plug something into them and get data out. I looked at the yamaha fuel flow meters when I repowered my last Mako with a new 200 HPDI in 2009 and they were about $350..I already had a navman unit in the boat so I kept using that. I really like the fuel flow data and wtih everything I have been spending, I am running out of money..plus I would like to replace the seats and a bunch of other stuff....

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a Garmin 4208 and have a Garmin GFS fuel sender that connects to the nmea2000 system. It may be worth a call to Garmin tech support and ask if the GFS would work with your plotter. It costs about $130 for the sender but you may need some adapters as well.

dengle

Reaction score
I had a Northstar F310 on my last boat and the data from that thing was awesome. It interfaced NMEA with my GPS and was single/twin capable with everything from flow, to MPG, to range, etc. Look them up. And Northstar stook behind their product. I had one of the F210 units that the sender went out on. They discontinued them for all their problems and sent me a brand new F310 unit for free with updated sender.

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I use the Lowrance fuel flow senders hooked to my 113 hd. They work great and were like 65 bucks each. They use the NEMA 2000 system. Joe.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Ordered a flowscan twin scan last night from Gander Mountain..they are offering a 50 dollar discount on orders over 300 bucks..

cgmiller

Reaction score
Finally received my flow scan twin scan last thursday...took the weekend off from working on the boat and played..may install it this weekend...have all the materials needed...

cgmiller

Reaction score
Well gents..I finally got the fuel flow meter installed.....I think it is reading incorrectly as I was running turning 4000 rpms running 32 mph burning about 7 gallons per hour combined....that can not be correct......

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Sounds like you are only readind the draw from one engine.
For a twin setup you need sending units on each fuel line, unless you only have one that branches into both engines.

If yours is installed correctly then I bet its just a single engine reading setting on your unit.

cgmiller

Reaction score
man..you guys are harsh...but that would be a logical suggestion...to my credit, I have installed 4 flow scan systems including 1 other dual scan unit. I took a trip last week and the meter read 7.8 gallons..but we traveled almost 40 miles so I was figuring closer to 20 gallons and that is what I fit back into the tank..good news is that I am averaging 2 mpg or better. I was able to look under the dash with my wife's makeup mirror (dont tell her) and a flashlight and I was able to see that the selector switch was set to the wrong sensors.....maybe this weekend I can take a run and see what effect that had.....Irene go away!

cgmiller

Reaction score
Well Gents I finally got to run the boat yesterday..it was kind of snotty on the ocean but put 40 miles under the keel. with the adjustment to the selector switch I am getting more accurate info. At 3200 rpms, I am burning 5 gpm with each engine for a combined 10 gph at 23-24 miles per hour. At 3900-4000 rpms, each engine is burning 6 gallons per hour for 12 gph at 30 mph......pretty good numbers..

cgmiller

Reaction score
I refilled the tank last Sunday after running the boat 3 times since adjusting the sensor setting on the gauge. The meter was reading 31.2 gallons and I put about 32 in the tank and it is full...full enough that I have some leaking around the new fuel gague sending unit...which I sealed once already..it is always freakin something.....looks like the ethanol and gasoline softened up the marinetex that I set the screws for the unit in. When I pulled the tank and took out the old sending unit, the area where the screws were was kind of rough and I filled/leveled it with marinetex before installaing the new unit....with the drop in temps, I am probably down a gallon or so now...so I can fix that with the area dry.....or at least I think I can...