Fuel Gauage not working

MDRookie01

Reaction score
Any advice or quick checks I can look at to try and determine my fuel guage is not working on my 99 225 OX66 Yamaha, on my Seafarer?

Thanks Guys

Little Buddy

Reaction score
If the Yamaha gage shows bars but they don't change will fuel level changes, it's probably the tank sending unit. I believe you can disconnect the two wires from the sending unit and touch them together. Gage should read full or empty, can't remember.

I replaced my sending unit and tore the original apart. All that was wrong was the magnets attached to the internal float fell off. The magnets actuate reed switches along the unit which with resistors change the resistance the gage sees.

Good Luck

MDRookie01

Reaction score
Digital..

The tank was replaced back in 05, but I dont know if the sending unit was replaced..

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
http://www.wemausa.com/specifications/T ... OTING2.pdf

Establish if it's the gauge or sender, the sender resistance varies between (approx) 240 ohm empty to 30 ohm full, use a digital multimeter to check it after disconnecting either at gauge end or at sender.

The troubleshooting guide is atached, WEMA has superior senders, in my opinion, if you need one, not that I'm affiliated with them.

seasick

Reaction score
When you power up the gauge, it goes though a self test, all eight bars display and then it goes to what the sender is saying.
There is a pink wire I think on the sender. Disconnect it and ground the wire that comes from the guage. The gauge should full. Disconnect the wire and the guage should read empty.
If the guage changes, yoy have a bad sender or a bad tank ground.

Goby 2

Reaction score
I had the same problem in both of my tanks. Sending units were deteriorating. I think it is a result of E 10 fuel. Replaced with Stainless unilts.