Fuel Gauge always showing full

Braeden514

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I recently bought an older 192 Tournament from my father-in-law. He hasn’t done any maintenance for some time but it is in relatively good condition. One issue I am having is the fuel gauge always shows full. I was thinking of removing and checking the fuel sending unit but was wondering if you recommend any thing else to check first. Any tips or tricks if I have to remove the fuel sending unit

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's an odd way for a sending unit to fail, but it's easy enough to check. It sounds like you know how to check it. There's no real tricks to removing it - it's pretty self explanatory.

Reactions: Braeden514

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin

good article check it out

seasick

Reaction score
Open the access plate over th sender and disconnect the pink wire to the sender. Gauge should read empty. If it does bu the gauge goes to full when you reconnect it, either the tank is full of the sender is bad.
If sender is bad, let us know and we can give helpful info on replacing it.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Tip before you take the sender off to exam it, draw a line with a black marker from the sender onto the tank so that can either reinstall or replace getting the exact orientation. The screw/bolt holes can be stripped easily of you do not get it right. Also do not remove the sender with a full tank or it wil allow fuel to oveflow into the bilge.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Tip before you take the sender off to exam it, draw a line with a black marker from the sender onto the tank so that can either reinstall or replace getting the exact orientation. The screw/bolt holes can be stripped easily of you do not get it right. Also do not remove the sender with a full tank or it wil allow fuel to oveflow into the bilge.
What he said! I just spent a frustrating 30 minutes trying to line up the screw holes on my new sending unit. Also....if you change it keep the old screws...the screws that came with my new unit had a different thread than the old one.

Reactions: Legend

grady23

Reaction score
If you replace the sender(s), I recommend getting WEMA units. They are out of Florida and will need the actual length of existing guage or the true depth of the tank. I replaced mine over 15 years ago and the still work fine.

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
My sending unit failed with the fuel gauge showing full. I was told by the dealer that this is “not uncommon”. I contacted …https://kus-usa.com/ and they were able to map the GW part number to their standard Part Number … SSS/SSL Sender - SAE 5 Hole Pattern Mount - 10".