fuel gauge inop

Drifter80

Reaction score
I have a 1995 226 with a 200 Yamaha with the electronic yamaha gauges. I fueled my boat up Monday and the gauge did not adjust. I have no idea where to start with this problem. Is anyone familiar with these gauges? They are probably a fairly common set up, I had the same throttle and gauge cluster on a Pro-Line I used to have.

seasick

Reaction score
Drifter80 said:
I have a 1995 226 with a 200 Yamaha with the electronic yamaha gauges. I fueled my boat up Monday and the gauge did not adjust. I have no idea where to start with this problem. Is anyone familiar with these gauges? They are probably a fairly common set up, I had the same throttle and gauge cluster on a Pro-Line I used to have.
You need to determine if it is a gauge issue or a sender issue or even a wiring issue.
Open the access cover atthe tank sender end. The sender will havea wire that goes to the guage. I think it is pink. Disconnect the wire. The gauge should real full ( 8 bars). Now ground the wire to the guage , the gauge will read empty if it is good. If this happens, the sender unit is probably bad. If the guage always reads full, the tank ground coulde be bad also.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Since it seems from your post that your gauge was working before refueling, that sounds like the float on the sending unit got stuck. It's a common problem, especially if the tank was low on fuel. Ours has gotten stuck a couple times, and I've removed it, flipped it upside down and tapped it to get the float to move again. It's fairly simple, but DO NOT attempt to remove the sending unit with a full tank of gas, especially when the boat is on the trailer, otherwise you run a good chance of fuel pouring out the hole and into the bilge.

Drifter80

Reaction score
Is there any chance that if it is the float it could free up on its own?

seasick

Reaction score
Drifter80 said:
Yes, if it is stuck in the up position and you use some fuel and you do some wave pounding.

Does the gauge show full, empty or somewhere in bewteen?

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Drifter80 said:

I didn't have any luck. The first time it happened, I didn't do anything thinking that using the boat might free it up. Since we have the fuel management system, and know how many gallons we've burned, the gauge has always just been a cross reference anyway. It did not free up on its own after a couple days of running offshore. But yours might, depending on what's causing it to stick.

seasick

Reaction score
Drifter80 said:
Its reading just above half tank

Disconnect that wire I mentioned ( at the sender) and if the gauge reads empty, the sender is bad and needs to be replaced. I suggest a WEMA sender. They have a website and good techical support.

Little Buddy

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 226. It's probably the float. First do the wire test as mentioned to verify your gage is working.
The old sending unit floats have two magnets 'glued' to them. As the fuel level changes, the magnets pass over reed switches which close at different heights. Resistors inline with the switches get added up and thus the total resistance changes. What happens is one or both of the magnets fall off and stick to the sending unit and close a reed switch. Now the level indication can't change as the float goes up and down with the fuel level.
There are several links in the forum talking about going to a WEMA sending unit to solve this problem. Or if you really like to tinker, you can try and repair your unit.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Wema, 5 screws, two wires, and ground wire, one gasket.

Be sure to use a proper tight fitting screwdriver, you must not override the philips heads, some may be in tight. Reuse same scresws.

Get sender lenght from Grady, give to WEMA, order over phone.

Don't confuse tank depth with sender depth, just talk sender length with WEMA.

Wemas are impressive units, totally sealed and cast stainless flange.

Less gauge swinging too since no pivoting arm is involved which amplifys normal sloshing effect in tank.

Drifter80

Reaction score
Finally got around to replacing my sender with a WEMA unit and my fuel gauge is working perfectly.

Thanks for the help and info

Jambo

Reaction score
My sending unit, original on 1997 192 Tournament, has just two wires. There is a red or pink wire, and a black. Could you offer some advice on how to test this send with the two wires?
Many thanks,
Chris