Fuel Gauges Stuck?

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have certainly had my gremlins the last few months, lots of issues, but now a new one....

Fuel gauges showed half tank main, 2/3 aux; left the dock on Aux and a half mile out, all 3 Yamahas died. Would start, run 3-5 seconds, and die. Finally got port engine to run and made it back to the dock.

Old fuel? Dont think so, but.....

Added 25 gal to main, plus fuel treatment and octane boost; added 40 gal to aux, plus fuel treatment and octane boost.

Both tanks run fine at the dock. But neither gauge has moved a bit. Both still show the same number of bars as before.

When I was filling the aux, I could hear very loud echos from the tank, both dripping sounds as well as circulating sounds, as if the tank was empty. Main did not have any sounds, but after 20 gal or so I suddenly got a huge blowback, put my hand over the inlet and for 6-8 seconds had lots of air coming out, lots of pressure.

Make any sense to anyone? Has anyone tried stickinig some sort of stick down the fuel inlet to test levels or anything? Short of risking a ride to the marina to fill up and getting stranded, any ideas?

Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
They could be empty but if both gauges got stuck at the same time I would be surprised. The blow back tells me that there is a vent blockage perhaps.
Do you normally run on both tanks at the same time?
The fact that one motor ran tells also tells me there may be a blockage since three motors draw a lot more fuel than one.
So you may have two issues, bad sensors and vent blockage.
Filling the tank will verify how much fuel is in it but the downside is that if you need to replace the sender, a full tank is a problem since fuel will most likely spill when you remove the flange.
To see if the vent is blocked, run with the fuel filler cap off and see what happens

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just developed my own fuel gauge issue. For some reason my main tank only reads accurate from 1/2 to full. When its below 1/2 the blocks stay lit at 1/2. Not really sure whats going on or if there is even a reset. Most likely a problem with the float. Ill post the result when I narrow it down.

'05 300 Marlin F250's

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Global warming? Tea Party? All this has to be either Bush's or Obama's fault......

grady23

Reaction score
For starters, get rid of the "old-style" senders with the circuit borad inside. Go to the WEMA website and order the proper length sender for your boat. I replaced mine over 3 years ago and haven't had a problem with them reading correctly since. As for the "Blow-Back" issue, it sounds like the vents for the tank are blocked. You DO NOT want to run the boat with the caps OFF you only need to twist them about 1 turn to allow air in to the tanks. If the stalling problem disappears --- The vents are the problem. If not, the problem is clogged or partially clogged filters or lines.

ahill

Reaction score
Hasn't happened to me yet but in FL I've seen dirt daubers (wasp) make their nest in the vent and kill off air flow.