Fuel guage

PT G

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Voyager
On the premise there are no dumb questions: where do I find my fuel guage? I have a 2000 248 Voyager with a Yamaha SWS 250OX66 and have 2 circular guages at the helm. The one on the left seems to show time, distance, battery charging and trim...the guage on the right show tach...I have a main tank with a capacity of 105 gallons and an aux. tank with a capacity of 56 gallons. There is a fuel guage somewhere right?

PT G

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Voyager
There should be bars going vertically on one of the gauges with a picture of a gas pump on the right side of the bezel.
Oh my, I may have mistaken "trim" for the fuel gauge reading. But there shouldn't be anywhere near a full tank of gas in it. Thanks for the lead...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Trim has the same kind of LCD "bars". Probably just gotta wait till you're at the boat again and can look closer. Unless the sender wire is shorted to ground.

Reactions: PT G

seasick

Reaction score
If you have two tanks, there should be a switch at the helm which selects which tank's level the gauge is displaying.
Try to find that and switch it to see what happens to the display ( give it a few seconds to respond).
You might have a bad sender ( or a sender wire that is shorted to ground).

If you remove the round deck plate that sits over the back of the main tank, you will see the sender. It will (should) have a pink wire connected to it's top. Pull of the pink wire and the gauge should read empty. If it does, either the sender is bad or the tank is full. If it doesn't you probably have a a short to ground somewhere in the wiring between the sender and the tank selector switch or between the selector switch and the gauge.

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
FYI- I learned the hard way this year that when fuel gauges fail, they can read full or close to full even when the tank is completely empty. Hooray for unlimited towing!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
FYI- I learned the hard way this year that when fuel gauges fail, they can read full or close to full even when the tank is completely empty. Hooray for unlimited towing!
Most of the time they fail "inoperative" at E or "sketchy" readings. But VERY occasionally they fail like it did for you. Moral of the story... don't assume they ALWAYS fail like it did in your case :)

Reactions: blynch

PT G

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Voyager
So here are my gages. I obviously need to spend more time on task. The fuel icon is almost in bold. The temp reading looks a little wonky, is there supposed to be a number there rather than a "blob?"

Attachments

• 20220908_104839.jpg
    20220908_104839.jpg
    869.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220908_110204.jpg
    20220908_110204.jpg
    970.6 KB · Views: 15

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
So here are my gages. I obviously need to spend more time on task. The fuel icon is almost in bold. The temp reading looks a little wonky, is there supposed to be a number there rather than a "blob?"
It appears the LCD screen is broken at the temp warning indicator. There are a few companies that can replace the screen for less than 100$. Fuel gauge is the on labeled speed. Pull the inspection hatch. The snap in hatch covers leak and it usually sits right above the sending unit dripping water into the connector. Mine fell apart. Should be plenty of wire to cut out the corrosion and install a new spade terminal. Be sure to check the ground and the bonding wire while you are in there.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Your speed/fuel gauge is blank. Does it test when first powered up? It should show dashes even if it is getting no signals. Download the manual to see how it works and what the buttons do. Could be setting of 0 contrast, but more likely no power to the gauge. It can be set to show time battery voltage speed or fuel. Try pushing the mode button and see if you can get any indications. Your tach gauge shows engine trim and does not show fuel levels.

Last edited: