Fuel level switch, is it necessary?

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
switch%20cluster_zpssxsav0bq.jpg

I have been figuring out how I am going to layout my new instrument panel, shopping for gauges and switch panels.
The panel has four gauges that are from Suzuki and matched to my outboard so even though they wouldn't be my first choice for style. They have a black background and I'd rather have white but its easier to work with them. The other two gauges are nowhere close in style but I found that VDO marine has a voltmeter and fuel level gauge that match almost perfectly.
As for the switch panel I will be using the Bluesea weatherdeck fuse panel. I'd considered but decided against the circuit breaker panel for two reasons. First the fuse panel is a little slimmer fitting the dash better and more importantly I can lower the fuse amps down by simply changing the fuse. Both come with 15amp protection and buying the lower amp breakers to swap out the 15 amp units bump the bottom line up considerably if I went with the breaker panel.
One other thing I like about these panels are that the labels are back lit, red/green or if is nothing is lit well the fuse has blown. Simple enough.
Ok heres where I have a question....
Going though the provided labels I did not find one for "fuel" as my Grady came with. That switch simply throws a signal to the fuel gauge permitting it to show the level.
But why? Is this switch really necessary? My Bayliner's fuel gauge was powered by the ignition circuit as are the four gauges provided by Suzuki, (Tach, Hobbs, oil level and trim). Does anyone really see a need to have the Fuel gauge separately powered?
Mike.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Older Grady's had the fuel switch for some reason. My 1986 was the same way.

Unless you have dual tanks, you can remove the switch and wire the "+" side to the key.

Mariner

Reaction score
Yup, Just what Parthery indicated. The fuel toggle is mainly used for Gradys with two fuel tanks. One gauge display and the toggle switch will give you the readings for each tank.

Mariner

fellinger

Reaction score
Mariner said:
Yup, Just what Parthery indicated. The fuel toggle is mainly used for Gradys with two fuel tanks. One gauge display and the toggle switch will give you the readings for each tank.

Mariner

What he said. If you have 2 tanks and only one fuel gauge I would say it is necessary. If you don't have 2 tanks than it isn't needed.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks guys that's what I thought. I wasn't sure if I was missing something.
That will be one less switch and will now accommodate a separate anchor light switch. I will also relocate the horn switch to a more accessible spot.
Mike.