Fuel Line Replacement Advice?

Enough Already

Reaction score
I'm thinking about replacing the fuel lines on my 2001 265 and seeking some advice. No issues with fueling but I'm thinking about 10 years old should be time to replace? The fittings back by the fuel bulbs look a little aged so that is what got me thinking. Instead of trimming off an inch or so and reclamping the ends, how big a job is the full hose swap out? I have access to the tank connections via deck plates - do I have to raise the entire floor panel or can I just disconnect and tie off a line, pull out the old and then pull through the new? I was also thinking about changing out the fuel filter mounts becasue the originals look a little aged. Have seen a post somewhere about an upgraded stainless version - anybody source those, or is that overkill??

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Any chance you could pull the new line thru using the old line? ie; clamp a piece of pvc inside the 2 butt ends?

NautiBuoys

Reaction score
Fuel Lines

When I did my 232, I had to lift the floor plate as the hoses were clamped every 24" or so. No way to pull through. "Toughest part" was cutting the caulking on the floor plate and then re-sealing (i.e. not that tough at all).

Enough Already

Reaction score
Thanks for that tip. What type of clamping did you see? Clamped to the tank or side boards? If I lift the floor, anything else I should do while I am in there?

Workdog

Reaction score
In my Gulfstream, where the fuel lines went through the aft bulkhead they had siliconed the living hell out of the hole on both sides. I assume the same thing in your 265. You will need to remove the silicone before you can pull the fuel lines through... this means pulling up the deck board. While you're in there give the tank a good look see for corrosion.

JOSH S

Reaction score
I did this on our 97 sailfish last month. I took the deck up and replaced all the hoses and fuel lines and the fuel filter housings as well. It took a few hours and gave me a chance to inspect everything under the deck and clean the fuel tank and spray it down with some anti-corrosion spray. It was not hard to do, just take your time and triple check all your fittings and clamps.

JOSH S

Reaction score
I used some old evinrude anti-corrosion spray I had. It is really thick and holds up well over time.

Enough Already

Reaction score
I think BobP may have the winning answer. I spoke to GW today and they said unless there was some extreme circumstance, the fuel lines should last at least 15 - 20 years.