Fuel line

Palmolotte

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a ‘96 272 Sailfish and the starboard engine is not getting gas when the selector is switched to auxiliary tank ( port does). My question is if anyone with similar boat know which hose at the auxiliary tank goes to the starboard selector? Is it the one stern side or bow side?

cosmic

Reaction score
My Sailfish is earlier so I can't help with line position, but be sure the valve is working as labeled. When I bought my sailfish I didn't know the previous owner replaced both valves with ones that operated in a different orientation but left the labels showing the way the old valves worked. It took a while to troubleshoot why no gas would flow from the aux tank.

Palmolotte

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My Sailfish is earlier so I can't help with line position, but be sure the valve is working as labeled. When I bought my sailfish I didn't know the previous owner replaced both valves with ones that operated in a different orientation but left the labels showing the way the old valves worked. It took a while to troubleshoot why no gas would flow from the aux tank.
I appreciate your response. I took the decks off and found it’s the one pointed to in yellow. The valve was working so I’m going to pull the line and see if it’s blocked and check the pick up tube.

Attachments

• 90F60C44-1D0D-4B67-82FE-C91AC0569FBE.jpeg
    90F60C44-1D0D-4B67-82FE-C91AC0569FBE.jpeg
    988 KB · Views: 18

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
In the pickup fitting may be an anti-siphon valve. Those get gummed up over time from stale fuel. But you can clean them with some brake clean (or replace - they're not expensive). Some remove them all together but if your fuel line drops below the tank height, the purpose of the CG law about this is prevent the fuel from siphoning out into your bilge should the hose rupture.

If the fuel line looks it's age, this would be a good time to replace it, as well.

Reactions: cosmic

Palmolotte

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In the pickup fitting may be an anti-siphon valve. Those get gummed up over time from stale fuel. But you can clean them with some brake clean (or replace - they're not expensive). Some remove them all together but if your fuel line drops below the tank height, the purpose of the CG law about this is prevent the fuel from siphoning out into your bilge should the hose rupture.

If the fuel line looks it's age, this would be a good time to replace it, as well.
Thanks for your insight. I guess the red is the anti-siphon valve. Does the blue elbow fitting just unscrew from the tank to check the pickup tube?

Attachments

• 09F104CA-1750-4882-B8F5-1A373B5545CF.jpeg
    09F104CA-1750-4882-B8F5-1A373B5545CF.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 17

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
well. the blue fitting was just screwed in back in 1996 but whether it will just unscrew now is not a certainty.
The pickup tube may still be attached or it is possible it has fallen off. depends on how it was made...could be metal, could be plastic.

The red part is either an anti-siphon hose barb or just a straight thru hose barb. Can't really tell from the outside.

Palmolotte

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sounds like it might be easier to remove the sending unit and look and see if the pickup tube is still attached. Thanks