Fuel Management - Yamaha or After Market?

smontgomery

Reaction score
I'm just now hanging an F200 on my 208. Thought it would be a good idea to incorporate the installation of a fuel mgmt system at the same time as the motor install.

It sure works well on airplanes so might as well watch the fuel $ fly by on the boat as well. It's useful and effective technology. Fairly inexpensive as well. (on boats)

Does anyone have an opinion or info on using aftermarket fuel-flow products versus the Yamaha brand of fuel mgmt system? Floscan? Others?

See, on aircraft, we can use a half dozen different brand choices or so for fuel flow and performance analytics. They all work about the same.

I just don't know much about the boat side of things in this matter.

Bring it on........Let the chat commence.

Thanks y'all.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are hanging a new F200, why not use the Commandlink gauges? They will tie right into the electronics on the engine.

gw204

Reaction score
The Northstar F210 is $99 and works very, very well. However, check it's minimum flow reading as the F200 might burn less at idle/troll than it can accurately record.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've found my Yamaha fuel management gauge to be very accurate. The fuel levels aren't the best with the led notches from Yamaha, but my actual burn is usually dead on. When I run offshore, my gauges so far have been within 3 gals of my total burn. I usually burn between 150-200gal when I run offshore so to me that is good accuracy. I top the tanks off before and after a long trip to check my numbers, both for accuracy of the gauges and because during my offshore season I don't always have time to refill during the week before a trip, so the only chance I have is after the previous trip.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you have a NEMA 2000 complient FF or GPS you can get the Lowrance flow meter.

jehines3

Reaction score
My floscan on a 100gallons will be accurate within 3 gallons. It sure is nice when you fill up to know you need to back off the fill when you hit say 83 of the 85 gallons the gauge says you burned.

I like my floscan, except I can't see it being anything more than a very depressing instrument and a real buzz kill of what would otherwise be a good time. Watching the gas clip by in the 14gph per motor range is not very fun at all...On the flip side you'll know how much to ask your buddies for when you get back to the dock :idea: . jh

smontgomery

Reaction score
As always, thanks Great Grady'ers. Always a tremendous wealth of knowledge from the forum. Good stuff for a sailor with a Grady for just 6 months.

I found a new Yamaha fuel mgmt gauge, transducer and harness for $375 (overseas Ebay) and $497 (USA Ebay). I believe it lists for over $600.

Y'all think the Yami stuff is the way to go or should I try to save a few bucks on the FloScan and spend it at the fuel dock?

30 gallons is a meaningful savings and makes that fresh Tuna taste even better.

Steve