Fuel milage?

Fishtales

Reaction score
I don't care about mileage at all on my boat as it is proportional to use. I care about the crazy fixed costs far more.

seasick

Reaction score
I don't care about mileage at all on my boat as it is proportional to use. I care about the crazy fixed costs far more.
That may not be true for all boaters.
It depends on how often you sail and how much fuel you use per trip. In addition, if you want to boat to a distant port, you need to be able to estimate if you can make it SAFELY on a tank.

If you burn 100 gallons in a typical week of boating and you boat let's say 25 times a year, that would cost about $12,000 a year based on current gas prices at fuel docks. Getting 10% better mileage will save you enough in a year to buy about 37 fuel filters:)

Reactions: Doc Stressor

Fishtales

Reaction score
That may not be true for all boaters.
It depends on how often you sail and how much fuel you use per trip. In addition, if you want to boat to a distant port, you need to be able to estimate if you can make it SAFELY on a tank.

If you burn 100 gallons in a typical week of boating and you boat let's say 25 times a year, that would cost about $12,000 a year based on current gas prices at fuel docks. Getting 10% better mileage will save you enough in a year to buy about 37 fuel filters:)
Maybe. I don't care.

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Fuel is the least cost of boating. If you're that concerned, buy your fish! Boating is not for penny pincher,s. Getting from point A to B is not about the miles, alot more variables are in place. If you worry about fuel price, you would not survive boating in Canada.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Fuel is the least cost of boating. If you're that concerned, buy your fish! Boating is not for penny pincher,s. Getting from point A to B is not about the miles, alot more variables are in place. If you worry about fuel price, you would not survive boating in Canada.
I disagree to an extent. While I didn't get into boating and fishing for the purposes of saving or making money, there's a happy medium between boating comfortably and losing your shirt. My previous boat was a 21' Arima, which I see your location is in the PNW, so you've likely heard of and seen Arima's before. They're a lightweight, modified vee hull that will slap you around and pound a bit in the 1'-2' chop and are a very wet ride in that they'll take spray and waves over the front of the bow and sides of the windows. After having that boat for 4 seasons, I realized I wanted something bigger, more comfortable and that would give a drier ride. So I bought my 228 Seafarer back in October of 2021, though the Arima was a much more fuel efficient boat, I thought the comfort levels would offset it and boy have they. That being said, when fuel gets up to over $5 a gallon like it did last summer, I'm not going to just go out and burn a ton of fuel by going as fast as I can. I'll likely keep it down to the low to mid 20's mph range and get better fuel economy than going WOT everywhere, because I'm a bit more of a frugal boater/fisherman. Also, insurance is much cheaper than fuel costs, I think my insurance is right around $500 or so a year, which at over $5 a gallon for fuel, that's barely one tank of fuel for me in my boat. It all adds up in the end and there's a reason why people don't use the cigarette speed boats to go fishing, because the horsepower and fuel costs would be way overkill. An extreme example? Sure, but still a valid point imo.