Fuel Monitoring System: Northstar vs Floscan

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Both systems seem to be the universal, low cost options for fuel monitoring systems. I have a 98' Yamaha 200hp SWSII with under 200hrs by best approximation and adding the Yam Fuel Mgmt system seems to be the most $$ option. It would also be one more item to replace should I repower with a different manufacturer (nothing at all against yamaha, I love my motor and it continues to impress me at 10 yrs old)

I am only looking for basic information: current gph and total fuel consumed.

Floscan seems to have a more substantial following possibly due to their involvement in the aviation and commercial market sectors but the 5500 comes in at another $200+ over the Northstar F210.

I would like your opinion on both systems in particulay the Northstar as there is very little information/user reviews available online that I have been able to locate.

As always the insight is much appreciated,

gw204

Reaction score
The Northstar F210 is the old Navman. It's a great little unit. Had one on my old 204 for 3 or 4 years and it never gave me a lick of trouble and was deadly accurate (after calibration).

If you had a 4-stroke or DFI, I would recommend the Floscan as I believe it will read a lesser fuel flow rate than the Northstar when your engine idles. But since your engine is the OX66, the Northstar would be fine.

I have one brand new in the box that's never been used if you're interested...

dlevitt

Reaction score
I installed a 210 last season. It was fairly easy to install and seems to work well. I'm not anal about actual mileage. I just wanted to get an idea. I am using it more as an accuate fuel guage.

No complaints here. It was well worth the $100 I spent.

David

jfmagana

Reaction score
I have a Floscan and love it. After calibration, it's proven to be within 2% accurate over three years. A good friend of mine had the Navman on his Glacier Bay and it was a nice unit too. My recollection is that the Navman is much cheaper priced than the Floscan (I could be dead wrong on this one). I suppose the reason I went with the Floscan is because it's the most widely used heavy duty unit out there...they have the lion's share of the aviation market too, which makes me feel comfortable (hey, if it's good enough for a 747, it's good enough for my 228!). My only minor complaint is that the bezel on my Floscan has some corrosion through the paint. Other than that, the unit has performed flawlessly.

Tideslave

Reaction score
Northstar 210

I ordered a pair for my Gulfstream, can't wait to install. They were about 200-300 cheaper than the Floscan. Will keep you posted on the intall and outcome..

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
My F210 after calibration, comes in at being off only .5 -1.0 gals on a 65-75gal burn..

Totally worth the $$..

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
gwwannabe said:
Dumb question time - how is the F210 calibrated? I don't recall seeing anything in the manual about that.

Thanks.
Gary 89 Overnighter

Proceedure is outlined on pg 7 of your manual under instrument setup.

Tideslave

Reaction score
Recieved the scanners and installed, it took about three hours to install two. Have not tested in the water yet the wind blew like crazy yesterday. I did test on the water hose and noted that the gauge for one of my engines was more than twice than the other, turned out it was in leters, and the other was in imperial gallons. The manual also explains this on page 7.

Tideslave

Reaction score
So far I would recommend the Northstar F210

I put her in the water today to test the flow meters and I am tickled. I ran down the water way and back noting the different flows at different speeds/RPM's, when I got back I totaled 11.2 and 10.9 = 22.3 gallons used. I filled her up with 21.9 gallons. Pretty close. I didn't run the calibration yet I figure I'd run her a couple more times and check the averages. So far I would recommend the Northstar F210.

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
Thats an excellent response, wish everything was this cut and dry!

Any ideas where the best place is to get one from? Prices?

Tideslave

Reaction score
Here is the site I got mine from, I think they sell others as well. I almost baught the combo unit that had GPS, Fish finder & fuel. But I wanted the fuel data close to my engine tachs. I may upgrade later just to have a back up for every thing. Don't tell my wife.. www.boatersland.com

Tideslave

Reaction score
I ran the boat today and traveled almost 80 miles and boated my first NC stripper. The Northstar siad I used a total of 62 gallons, and I filled up with 58. Not to bad. That is aboout 6% but it is conservitive. I will run again before I calibrate.

Tideslave

Reaction score
within a gallon

I have run her three more times each time i have been with in a gallon on about approx. 50gal. on the total of the two gauges. They have been easy to use and understand very satisfied with the Northstars.

Timotheius

Reaction score
I bought a floscan and have been very pleased. I fished several times offshore this summer, burning 50-60 gallons per day, and when I filled up at the pump the floscan was always accurate to within a range of .5 to 1.5 gallons. That's pretty darn good. There isn't a fuel meter out there that is accurate right to the exact drop.

Timotheius

Reaction score
Also, when I fish close and burn 20 gallons or less, the floscan is usually accurate to less than .5 gallons.

Tideslave

Reaction score
My flow meters locked up.

The pinweel part of the rotometer in the fuel line locked up on both of my fuel meters, I contacted the service center for Northstar and they set replacements without questions. The replacements are working good.

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mine froze up also but Northstar would not help since the unit was 14 months old and that part is only warranted for 12. They offered to sell me a new one for $139 but I declined saying I'd only paid $99 for the whole package. I've found the part available (actually in stock - lots of people advertising them but don't have them) several places at $89 but haven't replaced it yet. Northstar's attitiude continues to bother me and I don't have a lot of confidence in a replacement lasting more than a year.

I've tried several things to free the turbine up but none have worked for long. Best success was soaking it in penetrating oil - worked like it used to but after sitting for about 2 weeks, it was back to not working.

Gary 89 Overnighter